cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle server files and ORA<SID> files deleted in BW system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

Oracle server files(Bin and other related) and ora<sid> environment files have been deleted in our BW sandbox system.

Oracle version is 9.2.0.8.0; BW 3.0B

We are not able to start the SAP. And we dont have any backup.

Now the question is how can we resolve this issue? What is the process for this?

But as I know we can restore production system file systems but I suspect can we get the Sand box System ID(SID)?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What are the files you have deleted.Are these .dbf files ??

if it is oracle /bin file,folder and you have same OS to another system then these can be recover.

If these are .dbf files then recover not possible .

give alert_,sid>.log contents which can more understandable

SurendraJain

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

go get the homogeneous system copy guide fr omhttp://service.sap.com/systemcopy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric

Thanks for the quick response.

As you suggested; in system copy process we select the data files but how can we get the oracle Home directory?

If I am wrong can you please explain the process?

Note: as I mentioned in my previous message orasid environment files and bin directory under 920_64 were deleted. I just wanted make you aware on this.

Please let me know the process in brief.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

>

> Please let me know the process in brief.

Hi,

he already answered (in brief)

YOU only have to read the guide he point to.

in the guide it tells you to install oracle.

that is what you have to do if YOU have deleted the ORACLE_HOME, reinstall oracle, reinstall the patch set, reinstall the individual bugfixes (UNiX) or patch bundle (wndows)

Former Member
0 Kudos

you have to do if YOU have deleted the ORACLE_HOME, reinstall oracle, reinstall the patch set, reinstall the individual bugfixes (UNiX) or patch bundle (wndows)

As per the above message; if we think other way round; Can we copy the files, whatever deleted, from other systems like development/Quality/production to sand box and resolve the issue?

Since it is a sand box system we can play around.

Please let me know.

Edited by: Kasinath Parepally on Jul 14, 2009 9:21 PM

Edited by: Kasinath Parepally on Jul 14, 2009 9:21 PM

former_member475159
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kashinath,

IIf your system is Unix (specially not windows), you can simple try and copy paste the entire

ORACLE_HOME from production and give it a try.

I am saying you this, because I personally had faced such a situation in UNIX, and the copy procedure

actually worked. I didnt required any installation in that case.

However if the system is windows then coping procedure will not work (as there are many registry issues)

Thanks

Debdeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can we copy the files, whatever deleted, from other systems like development/Quality/production to sand box and resolve the issue?

This may or may not work. I did it a few times with older versions of Oracle and had a few minor problems to overcome.

One problem will be missing or wrong Oracle inventory. This will cause problems when you are going to patch Oracle.

Since it is a sand box system we can play around.

Agreed.

You probably will learn a lot about Oracle.

regards

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

>

> As per the above message; if we think other way round; Can we copy the files, whatever deleted, from other systems like development/Quality/production to sand box and resolve the issue?

Technically, possible, unfortunately that is NOT supported by SAP. SAP does NOT allows installing 'oracle' copying the binariess from other servers 9or from the same server but different ORACLE HOME)

As I mentioned before, the best (and supported) solution is to reinstall oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vales

I just wanted to double check on your suggestion; Can we reinstall the oracle and apply the patches on existing SAP?

IF so, what is the process?

Please let me know; thanks for your time and suggestions.

Kasi

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I just wanted to double check on your suggestion; Can we reinstall the oracle and apply the patches on existing SAP?

> IF so, what is the process?

Not different as if you would do it on a new system.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes you can,

you can uninstall Oracle.

delete Oracle inventory directory.<

Install Oracle

install patch

install patches with opatch/moppatch

upgrade database.

all of these steps (except the Oracle inventory deletion) is well explained in the Oracle install/upgrade guide. read it throughly, read SAP notes, prepare yourself and pray.