cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FireFighter Log - Background job not Scheduled/Log & file not yet generated

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are auditing a client in New Jersey for Firefighter testing. The firefighter logs periodically reviewed by management have the following entry: u201CBackground job not Scheduled/Log & file not yet generatedu201D. The client has told us that SAP is aware of this issue and is not an isolated issue.

I would like to find if anyone else has come across this issue. Also, from audit standpoint, I would like to understand what is the risk if the log contains this message. Does it mean that there could be some Firefighter transaction activity missing in the log, which could mean that not all the user activity is being reviewed? I would appreciate any insight on this.

Thank you,

Tony

Edited by: toosunneo on Jul 14, 2009 7:21 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Shweta and Thakur for the response.

It seems like this might be an audit issue if we are not able to verify the log is complete. Some of the logs we selected is few months back, so I am not sure if the data will be retained in the STAD.

The logs are generated every week for management's review. If the job failed in Week 1, will the activity in the log be carried forward to Week 2? If not, is there another way to obtain all the firefighter user activity from SAP? I am just trying to see if there is any way we can get comfort for audit that all the firefighter activity was appropriate if we can't obtain complete log files.

Regards,

Tony

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tony,

Unfortunately, there is no way the data could be retrieved for missing entries if that is not available in STAD.

STAD marks the first point from where data is retrieved and since its not there it will not be available in firefighter logs.

Regards,

varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Varun. Tony.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The background job should be scheduled to run every hour. by default the job looks back 62 mins I think. We had to schedule a job that runs hourly looking back 62 mins and a job that runs every 4 hours that looks back 4 hrs. This has been working well for us. This way if one of the hourly jobs fail the 4 hr job will catch it and if the 4 hr job fails all of the hourly jobs catch the missed data. We monitor the jobs and if one or more jobs fail we run a FF report ASAP to see if we have any of these u201CBackground job not Scheduled/Log & file not yet generatedu201D errors. If we do have any errors we then run the FF background job manually and tell it to look at a certain time frame to gather this missed data.

This has been working very well for us for the last two years or so

Dave

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tony,

From Audit point of view if you have this entry is there then your log is incomplete and some of firefighter activities are not recorded. To get rid of this issue you can do the following:

1. First of all , make sure that you are on latest support package of FireFighter.

2. Make sure that you do not have problem which is mentioned in SAP Note 947726 and output of function module TH_SERVER_LIST is correct. (this applies if you are having multiple app. servers)

3. Make sure that you are running the firefighter background job /VIRSA/ZVFATBAK on hourly basis and it is completing successfully without any problem and there is no delay in that. The job class should always be

A.

4. Make sure that your STAT collector job RSCOLL00 is scheduled to run as per SAP Note 966309 and there is no delay in this job.

5. If any of the jobs for RSCOLL00 or /VIRSA/ZVFATBAK are getting cancelled or giving dump then raise the issue with SAP Support.

Regards,

Varun Thakur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

Yes, if you receive this message in the logs that means no activity is recorded for that Firefight ID session.

This occurs mostly when the Firefighter background job is not executed for that time period.

In case you still have the data in STAD for that time duration then you can execute the FF background job for that date and data will be fetched. However if no data exist is STAD for that time duration then there is no way to retrieve this missing logs.

Shweta