cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Data and Related Tables

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings,

We are running SAP R/3 version 5.0. I am being asked to determine our master data volumes and to determine the need to centralize the creation and change of these records. I understand the obvious master data items such as customer, material, vendor, etc. but what else constitutes master data? Our definition of master data is a record that is created once and maintainted for business purposes. What I need are the master data items I should include and which table the data resides in so that I can extract the information. Thank you.

Regards,

Mark

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all of your assistance.

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

You can find all the information related to varoius master datas in the following notes that are available on Servive market place.Please check the below notes.

SAP NOTES ON BUSINESS CONTENT:

MDM Business Partner Content (SAP Note 1035773)

MDM Customer Content (SAP Note 1252884)

MDM Employee Content (SAP Note 1268212)

MDM Material Content (SAP Note 1255401)

MDM Product Content (SAP Note 1252846)

MDM Vendor Content (SAP Note 1252883)

I hope I am able to help you.

Thanks & Regards

Dilmit Chadha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dilmit,

Do we have MDM functionality in R/3 release 5.0? Is this part of the standard offering or is it an add-on? Thanks

Mark

former_member198313
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Do we have MDM functionality in R/3 release 5.0? Is this part of the standard offering or is it an add-on?

MDM is a separate product/software specialized for master data.

for more info on MDM, pls refer to

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-masterdatamanagement

hope this clarifies,

+ An

• This is not an official message and not related to my organization.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

Please close the thread if answered.

BR

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

replying to this query within this thread will be next to impossible. Will try to give you a fiar overview though.

Let us take material master for example. Mastre data can be further classified as reference data, organizational data, meta data, contextual data etc. Reference data are the different check tables?customization tables from ECC used for defining a material like Base UoM, Material group, Planning type etc. Org data defines the different hierarchy within the organization like plant, storage location, Prod Hierarchy etc. Meta data are the different business rules which ensures Data quality, ex- Base UoM should not be null for any record. Contextual data are attributes which are notreally global is nature unlike say material description, for example- Sales Organisation data, MRP views which are more of local data. One of the typical challenge in MDM project is to define global vs local attributes associayted for each Master data.

Important tasks are to first define the scope of the MDM project and which IT scenarios are to be supported. Is it consolidation, Harmonization or also Central master data management. Depending upon this you may also need to define the business processes used for managing the material master( Approval process, Change tracking etc)

best regards

Ravi Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Very insightful and informative. We are looking to pursue a centralized master data management. That said, is there a reference or list that itemizes what master data items are and which table each can be found in? As I said in my initial question what else constitutes master data outside of the obvious ones such as Customers, vendors, materials, GL accounts, etc. I am looking to understand what master data is, how many groups of them, and where they can be found within SAP. Does this make sense? Appreciate it? Thanks

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

Apart from material, customer and vendor an organization can have master data like Product, article, Location, Info sources, Projects, Employees, BOM, recipes, resources,Assets, Pricing conditions... the list is endless.

is there a reference or list that itemizes what master data items are and which table each can be found in?

Refer to the link for list of important tables in ECC storing different data for master data like materail , vendor etc.

http://www.sap-img.com/materials/common-tables-used-by-sap-mm.htm

Please close the thread if answered.

best regards

Ravi