cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diff. between BW-BPS and SEM-BPS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I am new to BPS and learning it from help.sap.com. I dont know if this is a legitimate question or not. I want to know what's the diff. between SEm-BPS and BW-BPS? aren't they same? If someone asks you to learn BPS what exactly u wld learn bw or sem bps? i am bit confused.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP Learner

Please check these threads which already discussed about this issue

/message/1171068#1171068 [original link is broken]

Hope this helps

Thnaks

Sat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi: I currently have an instance with BW 7.0 and SEM 6.0 and I'm trying to use the SEM-BPS financial planning functions (i.e. depreciation), however these are not available in the 'Planning functions' menu.

Is there an option to 'switch off' the BW-BPS part and 'switch on' the SEM-BPS part to get enabled these financial functions ?.

Best Regards,

Gonzalo.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, big advantage of IP 7.0 is also the creation of queries and workbooks. In BI 7.0 this is very straightforward and the same as normal BI reporting, while in SEM-BPS this isn't. For example a person in your organisation who deals with BI reporting can easily help in BI integrated planning.

Also n BI 7.0 data that is still in the open data package is included automatically while in SEM BPS a work-around is needed for this.

Also status tracking in IP 7.0 does not require web-based layouts, while this is the case in SEM BPS 3.5. Also web-based report creation is fare more easily in BI 7.0

grtz

Dries

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

first lesson: search the forum This topic has been discussed several times already.

Regards,

Marc

SAP NetWeaver RIG

Former Member
0 Kudos

BW-BPS and SEM-BPS are almost same except for few financailly focused functions which are there in SEM-BPS and not available in BW-BPS. BW-BPS is the beginning of the road towards an integrated planning solution. Starting in BW 3.5 the core planning functionality is moved into BW. BW-BPS is not financially focused. Some of the functions which were available in SEM-BPS are not there in BW-BPS.

Functions not included in BW-BPS

Offsetting Entry

Accumulate Balances

Depreciation

Net Present Value

Internal Rate of Return

Time Lag Functions

Valuation

Allocation

Rounding

Currency Translation (Account-Based)

With the removal of above mentioned functions, purely financial focus of SEM-BPS is going away. If you need these functions, it is still possible to install SEM component on BW and these functions will be added.

There is no reason to install SEM once you have installed BW 3.5 and

Only intend on using the planning application BPS (and not Corporate Performance Monitor, Balance Scorecard, Business Consolidations, etc.).

Financial specific functions are not required in your project.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Praveen