cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print the smartforms to the windows local printer from WD4A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

How to print the Smartforms to the windows local printer (LOCL) from Webdynpro for ABAP, where the application runs within SAPGUI.

I created a T-code for the application which runs within SAPGUI. And why its not finding the windows local printer in webdynpro application, where it does prints in SE38 custom program.

And this application does not require to show the pdf preview, as it is created in ZPL code especially for Zebra Printer.

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Raj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

When a WDA is running within the SAPGUI - it is still actually running within a web browser. The SAPGUI is just hosting the Web Browser in place. This means you have the same technical limitations with regards to interaction with the desktop. It is not possible to connect to LOCL from a Web Dynpro application because there is not connection to the SAPGUI/Desktop.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your response.

The users are going to use this application through a third party, they doesnt even have SAPGUI in their system.

But they need to print the smarfroms to their windows local printer.

Please can you suggest how can I over come this problem? Is there any possibilities to accomplish this task?

Thanks,

Raj

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

My suggestion would be to conver the form output to PDF and send the PDF to the client side from WDA. The PDF will open in Acrobat Reader and then the user can print to any local printer they want.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the response.

I tried that, and i gave the pdf preview for the Smartfoms, and the users can able to choose the print button on the pdf, it works fine.

But there are some other smartforms which are created in ZPL language especially for Zebra printers. These smartforms cannot generate pdf preview. This shows only the ZPL code itself instead of showing the content of the smartform, so i cannot show these smartforms to the users.

Now am in a situation where i cannot do this either.

Thanks,

Raj

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>But there are some other smartforms which are created in ZPL language especially for Zebra printers.

Then it is pretty straight forward. You can't just use the frontend print option. You will need to setup each of these printers within the SAP backend print infrastructure and print them via the ABAP spool to those printers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the solution

Thanks,

Raj

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey Thomas,

I think we are experiencing a similar issue.

We are using SAP GUI 7.10 and are trying to print cheques with smartforms using locl

We need LOCL working as it is the preferred method for SmartForm printouts like the pay statement. For groups like Payroll, they will want this to work. Not using LOCL will make printing out of manual pay statements look bad.

How should this be configured? and is it as simple as assigning LOCL to the users' default printer option?

OR do they need to direct the pay statements to a particular printer... Just a bit confused

Please advise

Maria

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>

> Hey Thomas,

>

>

> I think we are experiencing a similar issue.

>

> We are using SAP GUI 7.10 and are trying to print cheques with smartforms using locl

>

> We need LOCL working as it is the preferred method for SmartForm printouts like the pay statement. For groups like Payroll, they will want this to work. Not using LOCL will make printing out of manual pay statements look bad.

>

> How should this be configured? and is it as simple as assigning LOCL to the users' default printer option?

>

> OR do they need to direct the pay statements to a particular printer... Just a bit confused

>

> Please advise

> Maria

Are you talking about printing from Web Dynpro ABAP? If so, LOCL will not work. There is no direct connect to the SAPGUI/Client in Web Dynpro. You have to follow the same rules as when running in Batch - which means no LOCL printing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

As Thomas said, You cannot print using LOCL from Webdynpro.

But from Webdynpro you can give the printer device name as LOCL and do not print it immediately, you will find the print job in the SPOOL and you can print the form from there to Locl printer.

There is no other option other than to print from the Spool.

Or, you can show the smartform as PDF and use the Adobe print button from the preview to print it to the Locl printer.

Thanks,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

I am facing the same issue while printing from WDA. It is stuck in spool .

Can you please explain little more about to solve the same issue. Is it possible anyhow to print directly from WDA or we have to print it manualy from spool only ??

Please help.

Thanks & Regards

Rajan