cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC's and Configuration Models

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wish to define a configuration model with an associated model class within a Distributed Component (DC). However, when I go to reuse the model in another DC, the behaviour of a configuration model is different than an Adpative RFC or web service model.

ie. When I make an Adaptive RFC Model a public part, the associated classes beneath this are made available and everything works fine. But when I do the same with a configuration model, the model class does not come with the model.

I can get the model class to appear by manually adding the .wdmodelclass file to the public parts, but that of course doesn't work as the generated java class does not come across with it.

Has anyone exposed configuration models in DC's before and know how to get around this apparent bug?

note - I posted this on an old post, but thought it better to raise as a new question.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

We expirienced the same problems with XMI-based model. In fact, the problem source is different packages for model definition itself (.wdmodel) and generated model classes (wdmodelclass). AFAIK, in case of adaptive rfc all generated classes and model placed in single (the only one) package.

Our resolution was to add packages with model classes to the same public part that contains model.

Hope this helps,

VS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Valery,

Do you mind giving me a brief step-by-step approach to exposing the XMI-based model to another DC (your resolution)? ie. I've tried various approaches, such as including the package that contains the XMI generated wdmodel and wdmodelclass in the public parts, but I still only get the model exposed to the other DC, and the class is unavailable.

Also, out of interest, did you have any issues with the template config tool for the JDI deployment?

Thanks,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

I figured out how to do it without using XMI now. To get the config model completely available as a public part, I needed to go to the DC MetaData->DC Definition->Folders; and add the generated web dynpro folder: "gen_wdp/packages". This meant I could specifically select the generated classes.

Anyway, probably what you were implying in your first response.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

Never refer to gen* packages from public parts!!!

The problem you have is that probably model is no included as "Source" btu rather as different subtype.

If your model and model classes are located in different packages (in src/packages folder), the open public part that includes model, and add any additional package (or package tree) as source separately.

Regards,

Valery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Valery. You were right and it completely makes sense, I just added the model as source through the Common Model Puplic Part declaration, and then added the .wdmodelclass as a file and it all worked fine.

Note - I think there was an issue having the model and the model class in different packages that was causing my initial problems.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

since Valery did obviously solve your problem it might be a good idea to give him the 10.0 petro dollars You can always reassign the points, even after having rewarded them already.

Best regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'll mark this question as answered, this time and see if that helps. I could only give him 6 points last time I tried but didn't realize this was still left as unanswered.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

i've seen this after my posting to the other thread you mentioned, so forget about my question there.

Well as i understand (from my own observations, since they are not really documented yet), configuration models are something special and obviously dedicated to be "private" for a component, therefore the implementation classes are not exposed, i guess.

Since you are also familiar with the ABAP world, as i know from previous postings, you know the possibility to configure the application behaviour for reports for example by creating Variants (i hope this is correct, it's "Varianten" in German). The configuration models seem to be the corresponding part of Web Dynpro components.

If you list the applications of the WD-tools in the WD content admin, you see an "Editor" entry. If you start this application and select an arbitrary component, you'll see, that only the configuration models are exposed for editing (i didn't get it to work, the Editor seems not to be completely implemented so far).

Back to your question, if it's possible to expose the Java package tree of the generated common model implementation in the "Entries" editor of your PP definition, does it work then?

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again Stephan. It's not possible to expose the generated class so I'm kind of stuck moving ahead with the design I was hoping for (encapsulating a java class based data model within a DC for use in other DC's).

Looks like I'll need to come up with a new architecture for DC development (These config models worked well in non-DC development).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

bad luck indeed. There was an , that direct Java Bean access as a model will be available with NW 04 stack 9. But this will not help you in your current situation, i guess.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah, Paul works with me, and we're stuck with functionality of the ramp-up version which isn't so bad but a limitation in this case.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ah, i see Didn't know you're team players.