cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

legacy asset load

Former Member
0 Kudos

WHen we do legacy asset transfer and upload asset balances to G/L, do we have to create assets again in AS01 or can we use the assets created with legacy asset transfer? what is the best practice?

Also when we do legacy asset transfer, what field should be used to populated old legacy asset number?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sheena,

You can use AS91 to create Asset Master data with respect to Legacy system. You also need to be careful on the timing of asset data transsfer. In SAP you have two options of transferring legacy asset data:

1). The transfer date can be the end of the last closed fiscal year.

2). The transfer date can be in the fiscal year that directly follows the last closed fiscal year. This is called "transfer during the fiscal year.

Please followo the link below for more information on Legacy Asset Data transfer.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/4f/71fd71448011d189f00000e81ddfac/frameset.htm

Regards,

Sanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are doing mid year conversion. The client wants to bring in the data as of last year dec 31,2008 and data as of july 31, 2009 as they are going live in september. How should this conversion be done. Should we load asset balances as of dec 31,2008, then close asset fiscal year 2008, and open 2009, then bring in data as of july 31, 2009?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can implement asset accounting with effect from 31st July 2009. Please follow these two config steps for this purpose:

1). SPRO--> Financial Accounting --> Asset Accounting --> Asset Data Transfer --> Parameters for Data Transfer --> Date Specifications --> Specify Transfer date / last closed fiscal year - here you specify 31.07.2009 or whatever last date you want only point is it should be end of the month date.

2). SPRO--> Financial Accounting --> Asset Accounting --> Asset Data Transfer --> Parameters for Data Transfer --> Date Specifications --> Specify Last Period posted in Prev System - Here you specify Fiscal Year 2009 and period 7.

After this you can use AS91 to create asset master data and also enter all the related values - Acquisition, Accumulated Depreciation and Net Book Value.

However you also need to manually post accounting entry for acquisiton and accumulated depreciation since AS91 doesn't post entry in FI.

After all postings are done then you can run ABST2 TCode to see the recon between FI and AA.

Hope it answers your question.

Regards,

Sanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

With your asnwer it seems like we cannot bring over asset balances as of dec 31, 2008. Only bring in balances as of july 31, 2009. But what if they want to have the asset baalnces as of dec 31, 2008 also?

How do we do this load??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would say you can bring back asset balances on 31.12.2008 also however question would be then what is your go live date. Is it 01.01.2009, if so then no problem. However if Go live date is 1st Aug 22009 then you would have problem. Because you need to have posting periods open for dep postings from Jan to July as well. It will involve postings to Cost Center and so on. Please check with business users regarding this.

Regards,

Sanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are going live aug 1, 2009. Cant we do it this way. We bring in the balances of dec 31, 2008, then again do another load AS91 and bring in the balances as of july 31, 2009. There will be no need to run depreciation monthly from jan to july. Cant we do AS91 twice, once at the end of dec and once at the end of august.

Let me know, is there an issue if we do this kind of conversion.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sheena,

I understand your siutation and requirement, however unfortunately I have not worked on using AS91 twice for one company go live. However from my experience in SAP, I feel it should not be easy to do that though not impossible. Please search on OSS Note or SAP Help or write a message to OSS may be they can guide you better.

Regards,

Sanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sanjay,

I understand that doing AS91 twice is not going to work. Since this is a mid year conversion, I think the best way to do is load balance with AS91 for year ending dec 31, 2008 and then do monthly postings in AFAB (depreciation run ) starting jan through july. Is there anything else we need to do besides depreciation run for assets?

Is this the way to proceed with asset load, please advise

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can do one load.

You fill in the date's 30-06-2009 when you start on 1-7-2009 ans say that the depreciation is posted-up to 30-06-2009

The old assets (cap before 01-01-2009) you fill in the values in the values screen in AS91. For the assets capitalized you have to select the button transaction in that screen and then you can fill in there depr values for the assets capiatalized this fiscal year)

Have a look on the asset forum there you found more information then on this forum.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sheena,

i don't think its advisable to do Asset Implementation wef 01.01.2009 and other modules on 01.07.2009. I would suggest you to do complete implementation on 01.07.2009. That way you will save a lots of pain. Further if you still want to do asset implementation then you need Costt Center Master data to be active from 01.01.2009 alongwith G/L Accounts. In your case you will have postings related depreciation only in your books of accounts. Why to go with that way when you have very straight forward way of doing complete implementation on 01.07.2009.

I would not advise you to do asset on 01.01.2009 and others on 01.07.2009.

Regards,

Sanjay

Former Member
0 Kudos

In that case, I dont have to run depreciation from jan to july of 2009? correct? All I can do is run unplanned depreciation for the month of august ? Please advise if this is correct?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sheena,

You don't need to do any Unplanned Depreciation posting in the month of August if you are going live on 01.08.2009. When you use AS91 that time system would ask you to enter Acquisition Value, Accumulated Depreciation as well as Ordinary Depreciation posted. In Ordinary Depreciation Posted, you can enter Depreciation from Jan to July period. However you don't need to post any unplanned depreciation.

Further you need to post manually G/L posting for asset transaction, because AS91 will only update Asset sub-ledger not the FI Ledger. Then run ABST2 to reconcile it.

Hope it helps you let me know if you have any other question.

Regards,

Sanjay