cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate 6.5 Row Level Security to XI 3.1

dennis_scoville4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We're in the process of upgrading to BOE XI 3.1 and want to be able to use the row level security built in BO 6.5 in our upgraded environment, so that we don't have to put a bunch of restriction statements (WHERE clauses on tables with sub-selects) in our Universes. What is the best API interface or other methodology to use to be able to expose the BO 6.5 security tables in BOE XI 3.1?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You should be able to use Import Wizard to import Security and Row Level security into Xi3.1 from 6.5.

Please review XI3.1 Admin guide for more details on how securty is organized in Xi3.1

dennis_scoville4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The Administrator's Guide is vague at best on row level security and it doesn't discuss anywhere for the migration from previous versions of BOE.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

6.5 to Xi3.1 migration guide should have information on that.

If you have row level security based on groups in 6.5, it should migrate with no problems to Xi3.1, if you have it based on some table data etc, you might need to rebuild it after migration.

dennis_scoville4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry...after re-reading my first post, I guess I didn't convey specifically enough on what we're trying to do...

We have created Data Integrator jobs that pull account Id and group id information from the security (OBJ_*) tables maintained by the 6.5 application. We load this data into custom built tables which we use in row level security restrictions in the Universe. With the migration to XI 3.1, will we be able to access the XI 3.1 security tables, using DI, in order to create the security tables we currently use in our restriction sets?

Edited by: Dennis Scoville on Jul 10, 2009 3:04 PM

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Repository tables in XI architecture are not accessible directly, they are encrypted. Your DI jobs will not be able to pull this information anymore. I'm not too familiar with DI, but I think it can only access regular DB tables, with XI repository access is not that simple anymore.

You will need to write a custom application using Enterprise SDK to export this info or find another way of setting row level restrictions.

dennis_scoville4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Are there any SAP delivered Java APIs that expose the encrypted repository tables? If I recall, there used to be COM objects that exposed the tables, but now the SDK is supporting Java and .NET APIs. We would need a Java API in order to stay true to our architecture.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc/sdklibrary has code samples and all public API's.

dennis_scoville4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I had already downloaded this and was unsuccessful in finding a pertient API, mostly because searching through a ton of HTML files is cumbersome and I'd have to have a perfect search string to find what I'm looking for. I was hoping that someone may have already encountered this and has the specific API or APIs that could be used.

Answers (0)