Sustainability Discussions
Contribute to SAP sustainability discussions. Share ideas, collaborate on solutions, and join a community driving positive change towards a sustainable future.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Software to support research involved in Green technologies

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Should a topic like sustainabilty also address the need for providing exisiting architecture like a Netweaver for research in the field of solar cells,tidal , wind power etc. I ask this question because of my previous experiences as a reseacher in thin films and my current role as an analyst I find that a lot of existing tools would ahve helped me a great deal during me research if they could have been affordable and tweakable to my own cause.

I am writing a blog on this topic and would appreciate input from ppl esp. folks like Jim, Marilyn etc who have been stalwarts in promoting sustainabilty to the SAP world.

Gokul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

g_srivastava
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gokul,

Exactly i admit your concern.What i see is it will be easier for companies who work on it.Hope for the best.People already started coding ;).

Have a best day ahead.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

g_srivastava
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gokul,

Exactly i admit your concern.What i see is it will be easier for companies who work on it.Hope for the best.People already started coding ;).

Have a best day ahead.

0 Kudos

@srivatsava: Nice to see your response

@marilyn: Thanks for the response. The aim of sustainability is moving towards a more greener solution, my question is why not support research that works on these green solutions like a thin film solar cell, i used netweeaver as a an example because I had an eye opening chat with david hallitsky regarding t how netweaver concepts would complement his protein systhesis research at the SAP inside track, palo alto, but in my case a simple tool like Xcelsius would be of greater use to students involved in these research, so in effect im asking whether a software company's sustainability initiative should also include promoting their software to be involved in these types of research,

P.S thanks for the contact,

Edited by: Gokul Muthuswamy on Jul 11, 2009 3:17 AM

0 Kudos

Hi Gokul.

I know SAP has a long history of supporting universities with software for learning, as Marilyn mentioned earlier. At my university, we have u2018donatedu2019 licenses of ecc 6.0, and I have benefitted greatly from the knowledge gained.

I believe combining SAPu2019s software with u2018green researchu2019 could possibly be uncharted territory. To my knowledge, SAP gives licenses to education for studies on how to use its products. However, this would be an amazing opportunity for SAP to support software collaboration (great test cases), in addition being aligned with its sustainability initiatives. SAP should take advantage to be involved with innovative research such as this.

I hope SAP supplies software to fuel these types of green research projects.

David

0 Kudos

Thanks David for your reply, I have been trying to get some data on thin film solar cells from my prof to play around with explorer on demand and xcelcius. Will keep u posted.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not quite sure what you are asking for exactly. An instance of Netweaver for research purposes? How to tie the topic of sustainability to business processes?

SAP has a long and rich history of university alliances. Take a look at the University Alliance area for examples: http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/uac . One of the students I interacted with there engages in real world Netweaver work and is quite a sustainability champion.

His name is David Herrema. Now with the new improved search on SCN you should be easily able to find his blogs and connect with him. He's very engaged and knowledgeable.

One of his latest blogs is found here: /people/davidhenry.herrema/blog/2009/02/25/universities-collaborate-on-sustainable-initiatives