cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMDAgent - Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SAP Colleagues,

I have to install SMDAgent for my SMD (Solution Manager Diagnostics) tools.

I have read OSS Notes and Diagnostics Agent Setup Guide, but I am still searching the right answer regarding the following question :

1. We do have ONE physical server on which 4 SAP systems (SID) are installed and running.

2. We do have ONE GLOBAL ZONE on this physical server and 4 LOCAL zone - one for each SID.

Question :

Do I have to install only ONCE the SMDAgent on this server

or

Do I have to install the SMD Agent once for each SID - which means 4 SMD Agent installation ?

Each SMD Agent installation (using sapinst to install it) create a new instance.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and help.

Best regards

CP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

daniel_rothmund
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Pascal,

you must install a smd agent for each SAP SID on a machine.

Regards

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your answer.

So, you cannot install ONE SMD agent on the physical server and uses it for all for SAP systems which are running on this server ?

Best regards

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

As per my knowledge, the SMD Agent should be installed Once per Host ([No matter how many SID running on that Host]).

Please refer to SMD Agent Installation Guide :

http://service.sap.com/diagnostics > Installation & Configuration > Diagnostics Agent Setup Guide

Page Number 8/21

You will need to install a Diagnostics Agent on each server (virtual hostname) to be managed.

So, i would suggest you to proceed with Single SMD Agent with default SID/Instance number combination ([i.e., SMD/98]).

During installation, you have to mention about registration to some Central SLD ([which will then deliver the information about all the SID installed on that specific host to your SolMan system]).

I hope this provided information will help you.

Thanks & Best Regards,

~~ Pradeep Bishnoi ~~

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pradeep,

First of all, thanks for your feedback.

I have followed the "Diagnostics Agent Setup Guide" and I agree, it is clearly written that

"an SMD Agent is installed on each host (physical or virtual).". That's right.

But :

During the installation, you have to choose on whîch instance the Diagnostics Agent will be installed :

1. Global Host

2. Virtual Host

If you choose Virtual Host installation type, it means you plan to include the SMD Agent in a switchover or cluster environment. This is not the case for me.

The Global Host installation type allows you ton handle multiple managed systems on several virtual hosts running on the physical machine.

So, in our environment, this should be the right option.

Our server hostname is called sapserver01. 4 SAP systems (SID) are installed and running on this server.

Our 4 SAP systems SID :

- D11 on cd11man hostname (local zone)

- D21 on cd21man hostname (local zone)

- D31 on cd31man hostname (local zone)

- D41 on cd41man hostname (local zone)

After having installed the SMD Agent on sapserver01, we have to assign it to D11 for example.

The system is not finding SMD Agent on cd11man (local zone) hostname because it has been installed

on sapserver01.

So, even SAP proposes to install one SMD Agent on each host, I am still wondering if I can just install ONE SMD Agent on sapserver01 physical server and use it for all 4 SAP SID installed on this server.

Any idea ?

Best regards

Pascal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pascal,

The very first thing.. i am not aware of the concept related to Global Zone & Local Zone on same physical server.

It would be great if you could share this information along in this thread so that i would be able to point you in the correct direction atleast. At which level (OS , H/W , or Virutal M/c layer) you have maintained these Zones?

Anyways, see, as per my understanding :

I hope you are maintaining a separate Central SLD [(productive SLD)] & if so then please connect this SLD with local SLD of SolMan system. Refer Note 1148028.

After installing SMD Agent, it would appear as a SID [(SMD)] in SAP MMC must be Global Zone as this is independent of any installed managed SAP system [(so as localzone)]. So check if new SID is appearing in the SAP MMC after successful installation of SMD Agent from Global Zone.

And to configure all the managed system [(installed on host SAPSERVER01)] you first need the SLD connection (as described above).

Last steps, once the productive SLD will start reporting its data the information of all the managed system will be sent to Solution Manager. [(Prerequiste for this is .. all your managed system should report there data to Central SLD which will be then connected to SLD of Solution Manager)].

I hope this information would be of some help. Kindly reply about the Zone concept. If possible, please point us to any important document which can be referred for the same

Thanks & Best Regards,

~~ Pradeep Bishnoi ~~

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pradeep,

Yes, you can have all necessary information related GLOBAL and LOCAL zone under this link :

http://www.softpanorama.org/Solaris/Virtualization/zones.shtml

Best regards

Pascal

Answers (0)