Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI vs Data Integrator ?

jean-philippe_pain2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I was working on POC for a client with PI, MDM and a BI.

But, we lost this POC because we have proposed this architecture. When we ask why to the client, it seems that someone from SAP France said that PI and MDM have no future and should be replace by DQM and Data Integrator....

I am very suprise so i would like to know if someone heard about it ? And, what the difference between SAP PI and the data integrator of BO solutions ?

Thanks by advance,

JP

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Business Objects's acquisition by SAP has spurred a lot of specualtion about rumors like PI/MDM being replaced by DI and DQM.

I am not sure about MDM Vs DQM but PI, especially after 7.1 release is only as powerful a middleware than anything else in the market.

I feel PI is here to stay,especially in a strongly SAP centric customer landscapes.

All said and done, YOu never know whats in store in future ,as Aamir rightly said..

because XI has to change its name to PI because of one such tool from BO...:)

Regards,

Ravi

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just stumbled upon this piece of information..

http://www.syntelinc.com/uploadedFiles/Syntel_EAI_vs_ETL.pdf

PI is an EAI

whereas Data Integrator looks like a ETL tool.

So, we PI consultants can die another day..:)..

REgards,

Ravi Kanth Talagana

jean-philippe_pain2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your reply

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jean,

You should understand one main difference between the two. PI is a middleware and Data Integrator is a reporting tool. Since sap acquired business objects recently it now has SAP BusinessObjects Data Integrator which will work closely with SAP BI.

So now you should make the difference between a middleware and an reporting tool. More information you can get here:

http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusinessobjects/large/intelligenceplatform/im/data-integration/index...

Regards,

---Satish

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

JP,

> it seems that someone from SAP France said that PI and MDM have no future

In SAP Implementation, PI has a greater foot print than any other middleware tool.

Cheers

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>it seems that someone from SAP France said that PI and MDM have no future and should be replace by DQM and Data Integrator....

I would really want to know that "Someone" from SAP France:)

Looks like he knows a little too much.

As far as your query is regarding XI/MDM's future is concerned am not going to make any prediction as nobody knows what future holds for us,but if SAP had any plans for fading away XI/MDM they wouldn't be promoting it.

Also i have never heard of DQM or Data Integrator

Thanks

Aamir