cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Content Activation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Members

I have new installation of SAP BI development system. I need to activate business content. I would like to know the steps for activating business content.

I have 2 source systems, SAP ECC and IS-Utilities.

What should I activate first in Business Content? Should I activate all info objects first (Or) the identified cubes (data targets).

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Regards

Rams

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

dennis_scoville4
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In your SAP BW environment, you're going to want to install and activate InfoObjects before other objects (e.g. DSOs and InfoCubes), because those other objects cannot be activated if there are any references to deactivated InfoObjects.

On the source system, be sure that the Application Component Hierarchy has been created (tcode RSA9). Installation and activation of DataSources is done in tcode RSA5. Subsequent modificaiton and activation of DataSources is done in tcode RSA6.

Here's the order that we typically activate (in development):

1. Activate standard content Master Data Attribute and Text DataSources on source system.

2. Replicate standard content Master Data Attribute and Text DataSources on BW.

3. Migrate standard content MAster Data Atttribute and Text DataSources, to BI 7 version, on BW.

4. Create InfoPackage and test.

5. Install and activate standard content InfoObjects.

6. Install and activate standard content DSOs.

7. Install and activate standard content InfoCubes.

8. Install and activate standard content Transformations

9, Install stanard content Transfer Rules.

10. Convert BW 3.x Transfer Rules to BI 7 Transformations.

11. Create DTPs and test.

What I've seen some organizations do is install and activate standard content InfoObjects as they are named. But for DSOs, InfoCubes, InfoSets and MultiProviders, they'll install and activate the standard content and then copy it to a Z* or Y* named InfoProvider so that it reflects a customized version of the InfoProvider (chances are the standard content will not meet all of your requirements).

As a caveat, you really should activate only that which is needed to meet your end user reporting requirements. Activating more than what is needed may cost you some unnecessary time, both during development and when in maintenance mode because of increased execution times for loads.

Edited by: Dennis Scoville on Jul 9, 2009 7:29 AM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member213877
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rams,

Check this thread:

There is a lot of information on Business content activation in this .

Hope this helps you..!!

-Pradnya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It depends on the Grouping Selections what you have given. If you select 'In data Flow Before' then simply you can drag and drop the data target then all the dependant objects will show and you can install in Background.

The process is first you need to install all Info objects related to that cube, then the data target if you select 'Necessary objects'.

Let us know if you have any issues.

Reg

Pra