Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know User pointing to specific datasource

former_member222860
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Where do we configure the u2019Data-Sourceu2019 from the database level to the "User" at the application level. The name of the database schema (datasource) is u2018SAPDATAu2019 and the name of the user that I am logging through SAP GUI is u2018SAPUSERu2019.

I would like to know where this mapping is established that 'SAPUSER' is pointing to the datasource u2018SAPDATAu2019.

Is there configuration settings done at SU01, SU03?

I am working SAP 4.7 version.

Thanks & Regards

Mahesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mahesh,

There can be possibility of connecting the newly created schema but I have not explore yet.

Thanks

Lokendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mahesh,

There are some environment variable like SAPDATA_HOME, SYSTEMNAME and SID. At the time of installation the Installation process (Sapintst.exe) extracts SAP Kernals for establishment connection between Presentation Layer, Application Layer and Database Layer. Some services also created like SAP<SID><Instance No>, SAPOSCOL, OracleSAP<SID>.

For example the SAP SID is ERP then it would be SAPERP00, SAPOSCOL, OracleSAPEPR. With the Oracle lisnter the SAP connect to OracleSAPERP.

At the time of starting the server the first Windows MMC Consol starts the connect to the database, then message server and finally disptacher.

When a user tries to connect SAP he/she click on GUI, GUI checks the server availability. If server is available the Client, User and Password screen displayed. After supplying the login id and password the GUI sends request to SAP dispatcher and dispatcher looks for free work process. if workprocess is free then pass the request to application layer, application layer then connects to database layer. DB layer sends the dataset or record set to application layver and aplication layer sends to dispatcher, dispatcher sends to GUI.

So nothing done at SU01 or SU03 level.

Hope this will help.

Thanks

former_member222860
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lokendra

Thanks for such a good explanation.

I understand from your reply that the schema is created by default at the database level and whenever user log-on from the GUI, it establishes connection to the default schema at the database layer.

Actually, I am intending to connect to other database schema (say 'SAPNEW') of the same database from the same application user. So is there any scope to switch the datasource from the default to my own schema.

Assume that, the new schema is the replica of the default.

Regards

Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will move this to the NW Admin forum as I don't see the SU01 security aspect materializing yet...

If you want to open connections to other databases from ABAP, then see table DBCON.

Cheers,

Julius

former_member222860
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, we can able to open connection to other database from ABAP and query on any table, but it would not be possible to view any complete transaction, say MM03 ( display Material Master).

Looking for any other alternative, if we can able to configure the schema at the application User level.

Your help is highly appreciable.

Regards

Mahesh

Edited by: Mahesh Reddy on Jul 15, 2009 10:45 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

> ...but it would not be possible to view any complete transaction, say MM03

For that there is the option of using BAPI's (remote enabled Business Application Program Interfaces). See transaction BAPI to start with.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mahesh,

Can you please provide the O/S and Database type and version.

Thanks

former_member222860
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lokendra,

Thanks for the response.

The O/S is windows NT and database is Oracle 8i

Regards

Mahesh