cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new font using SE73

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am creating a new font using SE73. The font I have created is Courier 130 with a CPI of 17. I have assigned a Print control to it and it has an escape sequence of:

1B28304E1B28733070313768307330636310393954

and all is working well, however what I now want to do is create a Font to display "Strikethrough" In order to do this I need to know what the escape sequence is, or failing that can any one provide me with details of how the escape sequence is broken up. What bit of the sequence tells the font to do what function. I know that char 26 turns on and off Italics, 0 for off, 1 for on and char 30 turns on and off Bold.

Any help on this one would be most grateful.

PS - I have searched the forums and the wider net however have not had much sucess. I know it can be done I just need some guidance from someone who has done this kinda thing before.

Thanks.

Dave

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member181966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

David see the OSS Note # 12462 and 130658

FYI

Symptom

When you enter text with SAPscript or print documents with SAPscript, you can use the fonts listed as available in the transaction for font maintenance (SE73).

Question:

What do you have to do to be able to work with a new font when you print or in the PC Editor?

Additional key words

SAPscript, font, printer font, editor

Cause and prerequisites

SAP supplies a number of fonts which are normally available on all printers. The customer can also use special fonts by defining these separately.

Solution

Use Transaction SE73 to define a new printer font. This is described in Note 12462.

On the 'Change font family' screen in Transaction SE73, you can maintain RTF font information for every font family (function 'Edit -> RTF Font information'). This font information defines the display of the font in the PC Editor.

On the 'Change font family' screen, enter the correct RTF font information for your new printer font. You can determine this information as follows:

Enter a sentence, for example in MS Word, in the required font and save it as an RTF file (xxx.rtf).

Display this file with an ASCII editor. You can find the definition of the required font at the beginning of the RTF file in the font table (key word \fonttbl).

Enter this definition as RTF font information. You do not need to copy character strings bracketed with \{* and }.

Example:

In Word, you enter a sentence in the font 'Bookman Old Style'. In the RTF file, you find the following character string

{\f35\froman\fcharset0\fprq2{\*\panose 02050604050505020204}Bookman Old Style;}

You would then enter the following character string as RTF information:

\froman\fcharset0\fprq2 Bookman Old Style

12462 :How can I define a new printer font?

FYI

Symptom

Key word: Printer font

What settings have to be made to define a new font for an R/3 device type (that is, a new printer font) that can be used for SAPscript documentation output.

Additional key words

Printer, font, printer font, device type, fontmetrics, AFM file, SE73

Cause and prerequisites

You would like to use a new font on the printer.

Solution

General advice:

1. This procedure can be used only if the desired font is available on the printer (that is, installed on the printer itself, installed via font cassette, resident in the printer via softfont download or, in case of device type SAPWIN/WIN, installed on the Windows PC) and can be called with a short printer command (max. 29 bytes). This printer command is maintained in the print control.

Solution procedure:

1. The original SAP printer type used previously must be copied to a customer printer type with a name starting with Z... (see Note 3166 for reasoning behind this). The function "Utilities->Copy device type" from transaction SPAD (spool administration) is used for this.

Example: HPLJIIID is copied to ZHPLJ3.

2. A new print control SFxxx must be maintained for device type Z.... It contains in most cases the printer control commands for setting the desired font. To find out what this printer command looks like, refer to the printer manual and the print controls SFxxx already contained in printer definition Z... . A certain amount of knowledge of the printer language is a prerequisite. The xxx numbering of the SFxxx print controls is arbitrary.

NOTE: The exact contents of the SFxxx print controls depend on the SAPscript printer driver used. For information on this, consult the CD documentation ("Basis system administration printer handbook") and the field documentation (F1 help) for input field "Print control" in SE73, Printer font maintenance.

Printer driver HPL2 (PCL 5 printer):

SFxxx must contain the PCL 5 command for character set and print selection. CAUTION: As of Release 4.0A there are special rules which apply if the flag "Scalable font" is activated.

Printer driver POST (Post script printer):

SFxxx must contain the name of the Post script font, for example "Helvetica"

Printer driver PRES (Kyocera PRESCRIBE printer):

SFxxx must contain the PRESCRIBE command "FONT xx:" for font selection, for example "FONT 42;"

Printer driver SWIN (Windows print via SAPWIN/SAP1pd):

SFxxx must contain the Windows font name. CAUTION: As of Release 4.0A special rules apply if the flag "Scalable font" is activated for the printer font.

Printer driver STN2 (Target printer):

SFxxx must contain the complete command for the selection of the

character set, the increment, bold and italic print and font.

Print control SFxxx is defined for device type Z... in transaction SPAD under the heading "Print control for device type". Example: print control SF900 for device type ZHPLJ3 with replacement text (i.e. printer command)

1B28304E1B28733070313068313276307330623354 is created.

3. In the SAPscript font maintenance transaction SE73 under "Printer fonts", a new entry must be made for the desired font on the desired device type. The following information must be given:

device type Z...

(printer type to which the font belongs)

family ....

(Font name used in R/3, for example COURIER, HELVE, LETGOTH, LNPRINT, TIMES)

size ...

(Font size 1/10 point, for example 240, for printer drivers that support scalable fonts, 000 is entered here)

bold .

(X if bold type, otherwise blank)

italic .

(X if italic type, otherwise blank)

CPI ..,..

(number of characters per inch (CPI)

If font is not a proportional font (for example HELVE,TIMES),

for example 05.00)

PrtCtl 1 SFxxx

(Refer to field documentation (F1 Document) for exact meaning. The name of the 2nd created printer control is normally entered here.

PrtCtl 2 SFxxx

Refer to field documentation (F1 document) for exact meaning. The name of the 2nd created printer control is normally entered here.

If the font is a proportional font (HELVE or TIMES), an AFM file that contains the width values for the individual characters in the font must be entered under "Printer fonts" in SE73. Direct maintenance of the AFM data is done from the list of printer fonts with Menu "Edit -> fontmetric using a menu function. To do this you place the cursor on the line with the newly created printer font and choose "Edit->Copy fontmetrics" on the menu. If you have created, for example, a new printer font

ZHPLJ3 HELVE 200 _ _

you can copy the metric of

ZHPLJ3 HELVE 160 _ _

here.

Releases before 3.0A do not have this menu function, and you must manually copy the AFM files from the group box to the new printer font via the XX.XX function in the AFM editor. Then the new AFM files can be checked for correctness (Menu "Fontmetrics ->Check") and saved.

As of Release 3.0 it is possible to establish a link to the fontmetrics of another device type or to a default (all characters with width 500) instead of copying the fontmetrics explicitly. You can check the correctness of the complete font definition in SE73 in the list of printer fonts with the function "Edit->Generate font def.".

4. As a final step, the device type of the output device used must be changed from the SAP original to the new printer definition Z... in transaction SPAD. This is done in SPAD under the heading "Output devices".

Example: printer LP05 previously had device type HPLJIIID and is now being given device type ZHPLJ3.

hope this`ll help you .

Thanks

Saquib

former_member181966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Does it helps you ?