cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eWM in decentralized mode - How "disconnected" from ECC can it be?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear eWM Experts!

I've searched in SDN and internet but fail to find an answer to my very basic question. I hope someone here knows the answer or can provide a link to a document where I can read up on this.

The deployment options for eWM include a decentralized option with qRFC and CIF. It sounds as a potential solution if we need to have factories up and running, performing eWM functionality while we have the global ECC module down for service.

But how disconnected from the ECC backend system can these decentralized eWM solutions practically be in reality? That is, can they operate individually and support eWM activities/functionality even though the ECC module is down for service for 10-20 hours?

Of course, qRFC is in its nature queued asynchronous information transfers u2013 But can we queue it all for hours and still have eWM operating on its decentralized local data, and then release the queue once the ECC is available again? Or will eWM functionality stop working rather quickly as the qRFCu2019s are queued up?

BR Mats

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

pino_villa
Explorer
0 Kudos

one additional topic relates to batch management and expiry date. If you create in eWM the batch master data for inbound delivery and specify production and expiry date you have a problem if ERP is disconnected in that system first generates a RFC to ERP and creates batch master data and then replicates the batch data back to eWM. Then only is the expiry date visible in inbound delivery and updated in warehouse task.

Former Member
0 Kudos

based on my understanding of your question, if batch management is active, that information flows to EWM (at the warehouse product master level). and like Mats has mentioned in his earlier post, if ther is enough workload, irrespective of ECC being down for substantial time, you can continue working as EWM will take care of the products based on batch management.

Essentially, your inbound and outbound stuff will work in accordance with your batch management specs, however, that information will not be updated to ECC till it is up and running. You can see Inbound and outbound queues (smq1 and smq2 transactions) to view which information is stuck in the queue

You can read regarding EWM Products in http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm50/helpdata/en/5f/c69040bca2ef4ae10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Additionally, there is an IMG that has this information available.

Edited by: Varun_Arora_2601 on May 15, 2010 12:16 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I got the answer from SAP via other channels - So I'll share it and close this thread.

"Technically and also in reality it is possible to work in the EWM environment even the ERP System is not available. Usually the EWM receives In- and Outbound deliveries from ERP for execution, so it is the question that EWM has enough Workload (In- and Outbound deliveries) to execute while ERP is not available.

But this depends probably on the scenario EWM is used in, e.g. distribution center with customer orders, production supply, goods receipt from production... Depending on the scenario there are also options to start goods receipt and goods issue processes directly in EWM. This provides even more independence from ERP.

So it is possible to work indepedently from ERP for certain period of time, the lenght of this priod is determined by the scenario you are using."