cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP or NFS - Performance only

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a requirement of using FTP or NFS.

Lets talk about performance alone, load on my XI server and other performance criteria. which is better to go in for and why.

Pls do not mention all the capabiltites of FTP and NFS. Pls do not say depends on the requirement.

Pls do not mention the local file system, application level server and all.

Just simple and clear - Performance. which is better and why - say 10000-20000 records per day.

Thanks,

Vishal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

if it is at your discretion to use either NFS or FTP,i would go to NFS.

You can keep files on a certain directory on NFS and pick directly from there,there won't be any timeout issue,network connection lag or any other time delay due to connectivity(which all can happen in FTP).

As far as load on XI server is concerned,we are storing around 15,000 messages on XI everyday and haven't had any issue with performance of XI machine,we have configured Archiving and deletion job in XI as well as at OS level.

Thanks

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

aamir,

thanks for your reply.

So do you flush these messages out after every month or something like that, which are archived? and what if i do not intend to flush out my messages.

Also, talking about performance, in any way say i have many synchornous interfaces running parallely with the file interfaces using NFS, does the Xi performance get impacted?

talking about connectivity, would it not be that, say my connection is lost with FTP and when the connection is established again, it would process all the files?

Thanks.

Vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>So do you flush these messages out after every month or something like that

We are storing messages for only 15 days and then archive them at OS level,after this they stay on XI machine for 15 more days and then a Unix job runs at OS level to send them to back-up drive.

To archive messages from XI,you can look at the article titled "Archiving messages in XI",please search for that on SDN.

>>does the Xi performance get impacted?

We have never faced any issue until now,it all depends upon how well you design the interface and how you have defined polling interval,we are using Availability time planning,which processes messages during day time,after office hours,all the cleaning and archiving jobs start and finished by next morning so that adapters can start polling again.

>>would it not be that, say my connection is lost with FTP and when the connection is established again, it would process all the files?

Yeah,this will happen and it will hammer the FTP server for every channel at every retry,this will result in huge logs on OS level at FTP side.we recently faced this issue and had to use Timeout parameter of sender file adapter to make sure that out sender FTP channel doesn't kills FTP server in case of intermittent network/connectivity issues.

Thanks

Aamir

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Might go in for NFS.