Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Master data extraction from R/3 to BW

Hi all,

I have to extract master data for characteristic 0CUSTOMER from R/3 system. I have two options for doing that namely 'direct update' and 'flexible update'. Can anyone suggest which method is used in which scenario? I need the data in 0SOLD_TO for some reports on Offers/Orders (0SD_C05) cube in SD. Can I extract data for only this particular attribute? Whats the difference between direct and flexible updates of master data? Please Guide.

Thanks

Sumit

Former Member
replied

Hi Sumit,

The basic difference between the direct and the flexible update is that 'direct' data load goes straight to the InfoObject, whereas in 'flexible' you need a layer or update rules to pass the data on.

Here is one scenario where you may need to use flexible updates: If you need to load data to 0SOLD_to from more than one datasource. Lets say the attributes can be loaded from 0SOLD_TO Attr datasource. But you add some custom atributes to 0SOLD_TO which need to be populated from a custom datasource, or may be from the transaction data. To be able to assign more than one datasource to the InfoSource (InfoObject) you need to set up flexible update.

Also if you need an additional layer of processing, you need the update rules and for this you need to set up Flexible update to your InfoObject.

Hope this helps...

0 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question