cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Data Backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we're using MaxDB 7.6 with SAP ERP 6.0 since one year and everything works fine.

Now I want to use MaxDB with NON-SAP-Applications.

My problem is that I want to do automatic full backups (every friday 20:00 PM ...) and I don't find any options in DBM GUI to do this.

Is this possible or should I use the Windows Task Scheduler e.g. or are there other possibilities (DBMCLI, DATABASE Studio)?

Thanks,

Stephan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Lars,

thanks for your fast reply.

I also think that it is the best solution to integrate the second MaxDB instance into SAP and using the DBACockpit for monitoring and administration.

Best regards,

Stephan

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Stephan,

> My problem is that I want to do automatic full backups (every friday 20:00 PM ...) and I don't find any options in DBM GUI to do this.

> Is this possible or should I use the Windows Task Scheduler e.g. or are there other possibilities (DBMCLI, DATABASE Studio)?

The MaxDB administration tools do not contain a scheduler component for what you're looking for.

Instead you may

1. integrate the NON-SAP instances via DB59 into the CCMS of a SAP installation and schedule the backups there

or

2. create a schedule in the Windows task scheduler to run the backup

or

3. employ a third party scheduler software.

If possible you should go for option 1 as this does not only allow the scheduling but also brings automatic monitoring of the job execution inlcuding email notification upon any condition.

Also you may use the DBACockpit for the instances once they are integrated.

An important thing to keep in mind for options 2 and 3 is: having the backup scheduled is nice but only half the job.

It must be ensured that after each backup run the return code is evaluated and that the output is analyzed for any errors.

I've seen too many cases where customers had their backups scheduled like that.

When they needed their backup they realized, that their data volume had outgrown the backup medium they had defined years ago - so for over two years each backup they took ended with a -8020 (next medium required) without anybody noticing this.

So that is really something that mustn't happen.

Best regards,

Lars