cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC Adapter and Abap Proxy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All ,

I have a scenario where large Material Master Data is passed to P.I in batches from SAP R/3 system now I have to choose between RFC or Proxy for this communication between SAP to P.I.

Prior to Ver 7.1 , the ideal choice between RFC Adapter and Proxy was alway Proxy when the comparission is based on performance now since the RFC Adapters are moved to Java Stack and there is a provision of using Advanced Adapter Engine

for my scenario.

I wanted check in light of Advanced Adapter Engine , which protocol to choose RFC Adapter or Proxy for this scenario.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you

KLK

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since it is material master, does your requirements doesnot fit with MATMAS idoc. If only few things need to be added you can extend the idoc.

Anyways its ur choice and requirements need to be seen clearly. If you have standard function module you may use it or extend it. If everything is from scratch then go with proxy.

Regards,

---Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish ,

Thanks for your response , as mentioned earlier this is a Batch scenario all the Material IDOCs that are changed during the last 24 hours for a plant and distribution channel combination needs to be sent to XI in a batch based on different values in the variants so a wrapper program was required.

All together a new development / requirement done from scratch, in terms of performance which is a better approach.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Seeing your requirements if I were you I will go with RFC.

Regards,

---Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your time Satish but I am experiencing RFC time outs in SAP when I run this RFC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Even if u go with proxy u might call the same wrapper from proxy. So u may run into same issues.

By the way we can try to eliminate time out errors by changing few parameters. Please check few discussions here:

Regards,

---Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your time Satish ,

Considering a proxy call the Func Module is called in the back ground in SAP where as in RFC Adapter it is a dialogue process

running in the foreground that would lead to time outs . So I was thinking calling RFC is different process than calling Proxy . Please correct me if I am worng.

Thanks for the links .

I am trying to reopen the old question RFC Vs Proxy here in light of P.I 7.1

considering Advanced Adapter Engine would proxy still give better performance than RFC ??

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks & Regards

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi KLK,

ABAP Proxy will be a better option even with the AAE in PI 7.1 due to the following reason.

If you use ABAp Proxy, here is the data flow:

Integration Engine of Back end-> Integration Engine of XI-> Receiver

If you use RFC adapter, here is the data flow

RFC ->Adapter Engine Of XI ->Integration Engine of XI->Receiver.

You can clearly see that the Adapter Engine of XI is eliminated.

The AAE may be faster than AE but, in Proxy case, there is no involvement of AAE also.

YOu might be interested to read this:

Choo[Choosing the Best Integration Approach among RFCAdapter, ABAP Proxy, and Enterprise Services|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c0e7ae66-be6d-2a10-d385-92e6e67dee10?overridelayout=true]

Its a 2007 article alright but the observations still hold good.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for the valuable pointer . I see what you say I am getting clarity now.

Could you please tell me , does proxy run as dialogue instance or back ground batch process in SAP ??

Cheers

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi KLK,

I think the Proxy will be called in Dialog mode only.

But i see what you are worried about.

In you case, you can try the following.

In the Outbound proxy report program.

First get the data that you want using the RFC function module call using call function statement.

Here the question of connection time out is eliminated since the call is made to the RFC on the same system.

Now you will get all the data into internal tables.

Then you can transfer the data to Proxy method's export parameters, which will be sent to XI.

Regards,

Ravi Kanth Talagana