cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to monitor semaphores?

former_member192350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

We had a case recently where a large ERP system had all it's dialog work processes hung on Semaphore 43. We'd like to put some kind of system monitor in place to catch these events and alert someone when it happens. Something like the equivalent of "dpmon -> option m -> option p" output to the screen that we could run periodically for each app server would be perfect... but I'm not seeing any way to feed dpmon commands (other than installing TCL/expect on every host), or otherwise get the information out.

One thing I thought of would be to write an RFCSDK program to call something like TH_WPINFO on each app server, and wrap it in a timer so that if the dialogs on a server are full, it would time out in 10-20 seconds and throw an alert.... but before I go down that road I thought I'd see what other ideas people had.

Thanks!

Rich

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you try SM50 to monitor?

Check note [https://websmp130.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=661487]

former_member192350
Active Participant
0 Kudos

You can't use SM50 to see if there's a free dialog process, when they're all hung. You can't even log in to the system. That's why something like DPMON is useful (or an rfc call wrapped in a timer).

We implemented that note and haven't seen the problem, but management wants a monitor on it anyway - that fixes semaphore 43, but what about the rest?

Thanks,

Rich

Answers (0)