cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to shutdown SAP instance during an offline backup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I know that the WPs go into reconnect status during an offline brbackup. But due to other needs, I intend to use this time-window to restart the SAP instance too. Is there a way I could achieve this in a single script.

Things I already tried (and did not help!)

1. For obvious reasons, "offline" backup would not go through since SAP is "running"

2. Backup mode "offline_force" did not (and is not expected to anyways!) stop SAP instance.

3. Set the profile parameters pre_shut_cmd = "stopsap r3" and post_shut_cmd = "startsap r3". This would not work since ora<sid> cannot restart SAP instance

4. I tried running brbackup with <sid>adm; however couldnt take it through - too many changes to make in terms of file permissions.

Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Vivek

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

hi,

I do not have an answer, i have questions.

> 4. I tried running brbackup with <sid>adm; however couldn't take it through - too many changes to make in terms of file permissions.

????????

brbackup is supposed to be executed with <sid>adm. if you can't then you have something not properly configured.

so, the first question would be to know what "changes in term of permissions" are you talking about.

may be the solution is as easy as set the proper permissions to the BR* tools (sap note 113747 "Permissions for DBA tools BR*Tools and SAPDBA")

Former Member
0 Kudos

The permissions for br* files are set as specified in the note (saproot.sh took care of this during kernel upgrade). However, there were permission issues, first to write to directory sapbackup (owned by orasid and group dba). Even after granting wite permissions to directory and files inside to sidadm, command for brbackup failed with more permission issues. I would probably pursue in this direction (progressively fixing file permissions) and post the status here.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

hi

the user <sid>adm should belong to the DBA group. At least last time I checked.

That could have changed in newer installations, but I do not think so.

still it is quite weird. could you check that the filesystem is NOT mounted with the "nosuid" option?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running disk backup and the issue actually was two-fold there were some permissions on the directory. Also, someone here probably forgot to run saproot.sh after kernel upgrade. thank you for providing the clues..

Thanks and Regards,

vivek

Answers (0)