Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign users to a Active Directory group thru LDAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are trying to assing users to AD group for users who have been assigned to specific roles in CUA. Just wondering if anyone configured LDAP for this scenario.

I would appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,

Jp

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perhaps looking into an Identity Management System (IdM) is an option for you?

That way you do not need to maintain all the groups in the AD, but rather provide the users from the AD and tap into the "business events" in the component systems (typically HR) to drive the system and role access.

This would be a closer "knit" to event driven user management.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

So you were saying there is no other option for this scenario other than the going with IDM.

Thanks,

JP

0 Kudos

>

> So you were saying there is no other option for this scenario other than the going with IDM.

>

No, I am just saying that it will be a pain to maintain the data in the AD groups, instead of tapping in directly to the business events in the source systems.

Typically, HR knows about such events before any manager checks their roles or IT cleans up before an audit...

The bugger with AD groups and CUA driven by the AD is that you need to map the lot. Perhaps you should show this thread to your AD folks, who typically have little understanding for the intimate workings of SAP systems and technical application specific role names and their attributes.......

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Jul 7, 2009 10:56 PM

0 Kudos

ps: Are you trying to use an ABAP CUA master to maintain AD groups which are not SAP (CUA child) related?

Perhaps I misread your question?

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

No,

Let's say we have a pre-existing AD group (XXX_AC_YYY) now I want to add users which are mainted in AD and these users have a CUA role (Z:SAP_XXX_abc). Now all those users which have this CUA role need to be added to that AD group. Right now those users with in AD does not belong to that AD group. Just wondering if I can do this with LDAP connector. If so any specific LDAP mapping that I need to look into.

Thanks,

JP

0 Kudos

To my knowledge, only a user sync is possible.

For a given AD group, you will need to constantly read the CUA role information and map their names, either technically or via attributes.

How scalable does this solution need to be?

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

I know this is not a scalable solution but untill we have longterm solution (going with IDM) we need to have a short term solution.

Can't we use LDAP connector attributes for this kind of configuration. What do you mean by attribute settings?

Thanks,

JP