cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating SY-UNAME

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a requirement where I have to generate the system username (SY-UNAME) from the firstname, lastname and middlename in idm. I created a java script function to create it and IDM can provision to ABAP system with this ID.

Now my question is, how do we update SY-UNAME field back in HCM? I don't believe IdM can update HCM. I'm just looking for other options to update this field.

Thanks,

Biju.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe you're correct - the IdM tool (purposefully) is not designed to write back to SAP HR/HCM.

We actually use MIIS to write this information back to HR with the PERNR as a match, but we are changing this process to have the HR system generate new user ids as no one is very comfortable having an automated tool write to HR. We even had a custom BAPI developed for this process to reduce our risk.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

renefeisterSAP
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello,

The enhanced business suite capabilities of SAP NW IdM 7.1 offer a possibility to write IdM generated data back to HCM (as well as to a lot of other SAP applications such as SRM or CRM).

Please have a look at SDN -> IdM 7.1 page, in the "Information in Detail" section there is a PDF document called "SAP NetWeaver Identity Management - IDM Connector Overview" that provides very good overview about the new capabilities.

Just be aware that this functionality depends on a certain, new version of the SAP HCM component.

Implementation is done by application specific BADIs that are called after the central BADI "IDENTITY_MODIFY" has been triggered by IdM provisioning.

If more details are needed let me know.

Best regards,

René Feister

SAP Consulting Germany

Former Member
0 Kudos

That sounds like a great improvement Rene - I would've preferred our organization used HCM rather than a custom feed between SAP HR and IdM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have also done the BAPI call to update the field using a different IDM product at another client. And as you said one other client was not comfortable with this solution and we were sending and email back to the HR team to update this field manually.

This is the first time I'm working with SAP IDM. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to generate the accountId in HR - especially if it is a manuall process.

Thanks,

BIju.

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Biju,

The decisions about where id's are generated is well over my pay grade

It will be automated, and we'll see how it works.

-G

Former Member
0 Kudos

I hear you, Geoff :-).

But if we have an Out of The Box process to update the field in IDM, that is really great. Let me check if I could figure it out. Thanks, Rene.

- Biju.