cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two R/3 Systems on one Windows NT Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP Guru ,

I have ECC6 on database DB2 for Development server and quality server as different client . Now i want to install quality server on same H/W . i go through sdn forum and market place but not found sufficient information for DB2 database , i go through

Note 28392 - Two R/3 Systems on one Windows NT Server also.

Please suggest some more information to keep in mind while doing this activity.

Thanks

Om....

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

the prerequisite and post steps remains almost the same as when you start any fresh installation for SAP system

1. as far as hardware is concerned you need to be careful for available memory and disk space whether it will be sufficient for new system

Get some notes and quick sizer tool to knwo the space requirement with your database

2. instance numer must be different for two systems

3. post steps will be same as building new system

success!!

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh ,

As already one SAP instance running on it , i think we need to follow few steps in pre requisite keeping running instance in mind.

it may require MCOD or MS cluster service . but i am not much aware . so if you had this kind of activity please share information.

regards

Om...

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm going to make it simple.

When you run two systems in the same box you need to be aware that any mayor mantainance done in one system will have a detriment effect on the other one, specially if you're sharing the Database. During the installation you may find necesary to have some downtime in the system that is currently running as OS or DB restarts are potentially necesary.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi juan,

"When you run two systems in the same box you need to be aware that any mayor mantainance done in one system will have a detriment effect on the other one, specially if you're sharing the Database. During the installation you may find necesary to have some downtime in the system that is currently running as OS or DB restarts are potentially necesary."

I am agree with your post. but still my question is not answered . i am looking for information about what are the things need to modify in current system (either on OS , DB or SAP side) before start of new instance installation for Quality server.

let me explain bit more.

If current system having database name Dev now if i install new instance of SAP on same H/W with name QLT for SID as well as Database name. what are the things i need to change prior installation start so that not any conflict will happen (on OS , DB & SAP)

Or nothing is require to change i can just start installation as on fresh system.

Regards

OM.......

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You don't need to do anything for the current running system... If youre using Oracle and you want to use 2 separate DB's you need to maintain the listener, and from the OS point of view just make sure that the swap space is big enough (3 to 4 times the memory assigned to both systems).

The rest is pretty much the same as a fresh installation.

As mentioned before you will require some downtime on the system currently running on that box to accomodate the installation.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

Have you installed the quality server on the same host.

I installed like this.

My SAP ECC 6.0 SR3, DB2, WINDOWS 2003.

While doing the installation you have to give new instance number and for db2 services you have to provide new service number sapdb2<SID>.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

See if it helps. Probably below are the steps you need to follow.

1. Take complete Database Backup So that for any problem you can restore the same.

2. Take profile files backup.

3. Check up in terms of Hardware (processor and RAM) to cater new SAP instance. If require you have to enhance hardware. Basically you have to size it properly to fit the new Instance in the same box.

3. Now you can start installing new SID. Give new SID name, since it is windows, it will create it's own direcotory and install SAP. Only thing, while it asks for DB Home, mention the DB2 Home directory as it is already installed for your existing Instance. It will use existing DB2 binary and create separate DB instance for new SAP Instance.

Thx.

Former Member
0 Kudos

OM,

Can you provide the details of your hardware details such as Physical Memory (RAM) and Hard Disk size.

Thanks

Lokendra

Former Member
0 Kudos

- down time (hardware/OS) for DEV means downtime for QAS

- You cannot patch OS at different times and so on.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

I am agree with your points. but my concern is to know about installation pre-requite and post implementation steps.

I'll be very thankful , If you provide these details .

regards

Om....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Om Prakash,

can u please elabrate your question clearly.

Regards

bandla