cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying unicode characters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am currently dealing with a character displaying problem on the MAM.

We will soon go live in China. Until now we only had European countries, with a Latin alphabet.

Now however this changes, so we need to use Unicode to display all characters correctly.

Therefor I have converted all our custom language files to language files with Unicode escape characters.

e.g.:

EQUIPMENTS_EQU_MAT_NR=设备材料号码

Now the strange thing is that when we login in Chinese, everything is displayed correctly, but when we login in German or Polish (countries which also have some special characters), we don't see everything displayed correctly.

This is the code how we display an entry from the language file on the screen:

<%@page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=UTF-8"%>

meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text-html; charset=UTF-8"

<jsp:useBean id="res" class="com.sap.ip.me.api.services.MEResourceBundle" scope="session"></jsp:useBean>

<%=PageUtil.ConvertISO8859toUTF8(res.getString("CONFIRMATIONS_HEADER_DETAIL"))%>

For Chinese language, the characters are displayed correctly in this way.

e.g.: 最后一次同步时间

However Polish characters and German characters are not (always) displayed correctly.

e.g.: Wskaźnik pierwszego usuniÄu2122cia usterki

The only 'difference' that I can see is that for China, every character in the language file has a special Unicode notation, while for Polish and German characters, only the special characters are displayed in special Unicode notation.

e.g.:

EQUIPMENTS_EQU_MAT_NR=Numer materia\u00c5‚u sprz\u00c4™tu

FYI, I've converted the files to Unicode escape characters with the java util native2ascii.exe.

Is there anyone who knows how to solve this issue?

Thanks already in advance!

Best regards,

Diederik

Edited by: Diederik Van Wassenhove on Jul 6, 2009 2:34 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I've found the reason for this problem.

Thanks anyway for your time!

The problem was that when converting the language files to Unicode escape characters, the source format was wrong. The files where saved as UTF-8, but the JAVA tool native2ascii is not taking UTF-8 as standard input format. So the resulting Unicode file was not containing the correct Unicode characters.

I've re-generated the language files with the parameter -encoding UTF-8, and now everything is displayed correctly!

Have a good day!

Diederik