cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cube partitioning

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I was wondering while partitioning a cube suppose , giving value range for fiscal period - 001/2004 to 001/2008 and number of partitions to some XX ..

But what will happen after 2008 data, it will reside in only one partition > 2008 ( may be the last partition ) .

Is there any other way to extend the limit for the partition ??

What is a standard practice or best practice for paritioning a cube ?

Awaiting your answers.

Thank you.

Regards

Nimesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nimesh,

Please have a look at OSS note 697275. It mentions the new program to increase the number of partitions.

It as well answers one question: All data is written to the highest partition if the partition it should write into is not available.

Another OSS note where there is a mention of a newer program: 895539

Bye

Dinesh

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As others have mentioned, there are some pgms to split the high value partition. The Oracle pgm is very recent, Informix has existed for a while, not sure about other DBs.

I generally partition out to 2010. The extra empty partitions don't hurt on the query side, and generally don't occupy much space at all - just whatever the initial extent size your tablespace has specified.

I choose 2010 so that I am using the same date for all my cubes. Thay way I know they are all going to need more partitions prior to that date and I don't need to worry about keeping track of each InfoCube's having different dates and worrying if someone will miss the date or not.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nimesh,

There is a new feature Repartitioning, available from BI 7.0 (NW04s), which helps you change the partitions for a cube which already has data. But the same is not possible for lower versions of BW, but you could try the notes suggested by Dinesh for the same.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nimesha

Standard Practice is suppose if you are partitioning from 001/2004 to 001/2008 and number of partitions is XX. What you have to do make number of partitions XX+2. +2 is one for before 001/2004 data and other one after 001/2008 Data.

Hope this helps

Thnaks

Sat

Former Member
0 Kudos