Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landscape design using J2SE

former_member192375
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am hoping that you could assist in the following interface design matter.

Engen have Oil deports right over the country. These are connected via the WAN.

These depots runs a Business Application that needs integration with SAP. There are about +/-12 that operate 24/7.

Currently they are transferring files between the Deport and SAP via MQ Series.

These transactions files are time critical and are generated adhoc. They are shipment instructions to automated

truck loading equipment at the plant and the response back to SAP on the actual load taken.

The plants are sitting in places quite remote which geographically could be hundreds of kilometers away.

From a design point of view would it be best to just use a File Adapter on the Central Adapter Engine, via a share or would the use of

a J2SE Adapter Engine (Hosts does not support J2EE due to RAM requirements) with a local File Adapter be best. Keeping in mind that the support and maintenance will have to be done from a Central location (HQ).

My challenge so far has been that I have not been able to find SAP documentation to guide me.

I would greatly appreciate if you could refer me to some document that could assist or with any advice you might have.

Regards

Willie Hugo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member192375
Participant
0 Kudos

Due to the software support require to handle all these sites and that is not in place, we will be using FTP/File adapters. Bu will be deploying more AAE to handle the polling and traffic from all the sites.

former_member192375
Participant
0 Kudos

Volker,

Thanks for the advice. In my mind the FTP option is not feasible as the business requirement is poll at +/- 5 sec interval. This will create quite a network overhead to do this. As for the MQ series, we are trying to get rid of the licensing for MQ (Cost, International Financial Crises) as PI will be able to achieve the same. I am however interested in how to integrate IBM MQ Series with SAP PI. Any help with that might be helpful for the future.

Regards

Willie Hugo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

WMQ integration with PI can be done using the JMS adapter of PI. If you can give some information on the current mechanism in use for integration between MQ and SAP, we can discuss further integration options.

Moreover, some information on the Tank Automation System and supported integration options will also help in evaluating best possible solutions.

Regards,

Shehryar

Edited by: Shehryar Khan on Mar 24, 2010 2:57 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Willem!

To keep landscape and maintenance as simple as possible I would start to use the Central Adapter Engine and FTP on the local sites. Are all local sites connected via secure network connections like intranet or VPN? If not security aspects also have to be taken into account (FTPS and SFTP are not secure).

Please keep in mind just the simple and day-to-day situation that you have to apply patches to adapter engine software. In the worst case all remotely installed adapter engines must be patched by someone. Addintionally you have to ensure at least a 2-system landscape. That means centeral PI x 2 (or 3) plus decentral Adapter Engines x 2 (or 3).

But you can also have a look at service marketplace under Alias "instguides". There you can find e.g. a Technical Infrastructure Guide for PI 7.1 (and other XI/PI releases). There you will also find security guides if security will become a cirtical factor in your environment.

By the way: Is it planned to use the PI/XI instead of MQ Series or can it also be a possible solution to leave everything as it is in the locations and just connect MQ series with XI/PI?

Regards,

Volker