cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS WebDynpro customisation?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm doing ESS Webdynpro customisation. After I get the track in NWDS and make necessary changes to the view, how do I test the changes in DEV environment? Do I have to check in my changes and get it build for testing? Is there any other way to test it without checking in?

Thanks

Praveen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The other way for testing the changes in your code without checking in is to confgure your remote J2EE engine where the JCO destinations are configured and SAP ECC system is installed...

Go to Window>Preferences>SAP J2EE engine give your meessage server host and message server port.

You need to know the deployment password for SDM...

If you want to test it in local server installed check with your basis team what are the necessary configurations to be done from portal as well as SAP ECC system...

Hope this helps you..

Regards,

Saleem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just something doesn't sound right here. I'm new to customisation of ESS/MSS packages. I import tracks in my NWDS and make changes, to test it the only way is to checkin and test in DEV system. What if my changes are not working then I have to checkout again make the change and check in again to get another build in DEV system, that is not right.

I have no option to get my local server due to licensing. Is this is the normal way that everyone works on customisation with ESS/MSS or any XSS changes?

Again if I had to get password to remote server SDM password that is not happening for me either, and in a way why should Basis give those credentials to a developer.

What is the right and best practice here?

Thanks

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

I import tracks in my NWDS and make changes, to test it the only way is to checkin and test in DEV system. 
What if my changes are not working then I have to checkout again make the change and check in again 
to get another build in DEV system, that is not right. 

If we don't have a local server, this is how we do the development in NWDI environment.

For each change we have to check-in our activity and activate to see our changes in DEV environment.

If our change is not working we have to repeat the process.

But while releasing our changes to Quality environment, we have to do only once. This is done by selecting all the activities and releasing them in Transport Studio.

Regards,

Jaya.

Edited by: VJR on Jul 3, 2009 4:52 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

If you have to send your changes and test your application in dev system, check in and activate is the only process which you can do in NWDI.

But in one of our projects we got the access for remote engine and we used to deploy in that way.

If your changes are not working, you have to once again check out, make a buld and check in your code and then test the application in dev system.

But doing this its better to put some debug statements and trace where it is failing...

This is the approach which usually will be followed....

Regards,

Saleem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks and understood that we can check-in checkout and test in DEV portal for XSS changes.

Can you please refer me to some documents or wiki or blog which explains step by step procedure of creating track of ESS BP's, importing track into NWDS, checkin, activate, build and test them in DEV portal?

Looks like I have no portal admin so as a developer I had to set up track and everything myself and maintain the whole process from dev to transport to QA and then to Prod.

Thanks

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi praveen,

Go through this document how to configure the Business package for ESS

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/21eb036a-0a01-0010-25a3-b22...

Help on ESS:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/5b/76a6d7fd3a4e91bfb422405bf3e04d/frameset.htm

Business Package for ESS: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005/helpdata/en/f6/263359f8c14ef98384ae7a2becd156/frameset.htm

Go through this Wiki Configuring Employee Self-Service (ESS) and Manager Self -Service (MSS)

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/EP/Portal%20Content%20Development

Please go through the PDF document on ESS & WebDynpro by Ralf Halbedel

Hope this helps you

Regards,

Saleem

Edited by: Saleem Baig Mohammed on Jul 6, 2009 10:03 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks. Good information. Shall post back if I have any issues again.

Praveen.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

If you want to test your changes in DEV environment:

1. Check-in your activities.

2. Activate your activities.

After the successful activation the dc will automatically get deployed. And you can test your changes.

Alternate way is, If you have any local server you can deploy your DC's in that local server and without checking in your changes you can test your changes in local server.

Regards,

Jaya.