cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle to MaxDb ( import / synchronize )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have downloaded MaxDb version 7.7.06.09 32bit and i have installed it on a Windows XP Professional machine.

Also i have installed Database Studio 7.7.06.09 for Windows 32 bit.

I need to import some tables from an existing SAP R/3 Enterprise 4.7 installation that uses Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 in to MaxDb.

In the future if everything works ok i intend to synchronize the tables from Oracle with those from MaxDb but only in one way, changes to Oracle tables will be transported to MaxDb.

So my questions are :

1. can i import some tables (let's say VBRP and VBRK) from Oracle to MaxDb ?

2. can i synchronize the tables as i described ?

3. what tools should i use ?

Edited by: Cristian Radu on Jul 3, 2009 9:44 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

thank you very much for your answer

I have read your blog post "Suck that data out ! Connect from Oracle to MaxDB" and i've seen that it describes how to move data from MaxDB to Oracle Database. That's good to know, but i need to move data from Oracle to MaxDB.

You said something about trying a synchronization using ABAP. Please give me more information if you think this is the best solution. I haven't done till now an ABAP program that connects to MaxDb but i have written some reports in ABAP. Can you provide some links that will give me a start.

Also i have seen that "Database Studio" has an import feature. Can i use that somehow in order to import data from Oracle ?

Thank you.

PS The company that i am working for HAS licences for Oracle and Sap.

Edited by: Cristian Radu on Jul 3, 2009 10:26 AM

Edited by: Cristian Radu on Jul 3, 2009 10:26 AM

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have read your blog post "Suck that data out ! Connect from Oracle to MaxDB" and i've seen that it describes how to move data from MaxDB to Oracle Database. That's good to know, but i need to move data from Oracle to MaxDB.

So what? DBLinks are two-way connections... instead of SELECT you use INSERT/UPDATE on the remote table and you have your opposite direction.

> You said something about trying a synchronization using ABAP. Please give me more information if you think this is the best solution. I haven't done till now an ABAP program that connects to MaxDb but i have written some reports in ABAP. Can you provide some links that will give me a start.

Yes, I would definitively go for the ABAP approach.

You may have a look to discussions on low-level-db-access like these ones:

[Questions to SAP Support: Is ODBC access to the database a good idea?|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/9742] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

... and the many more threads on this topic.

The main point is: touching SAP data directly on database level does circumvent all security and consistency constraint.

It brings huge problems to the maintenance of your system landscape and is a horror to debug in case of problems.

Define a clean abap report, BAPI, web server ... whatever suits your needs. But don't go below the ABAP level!

To get a start, check note

#955670 - DB-MultiConnect mit MaxDB als sekundu00E4rer Datenbank

> Also i have seen that "Database Studio" has an import feature. Can i use that somehow in order to import data from Oracle ?

No, SAP MaxDB Database Studio is a tool for MaxDB only.

> PS The company that i am working for HAS licences for Oracle and Sap.

The question is: are the Oracle licenses used for the SAP databases bought from SAP or from Oracle directly!

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

To migrate data from the Oracle database to MaxDB, I would definitely go with an ETL tool. There are open source tools that you can download for free. Talend is one of them: it has connectors for both Oracle and MaxDB. Which means you can migrate easily and efficiently.

About Talend Open Studio, it is an open source ETL tool for data integration and migration experts. It's easy to learn for a non-technical user. What distinguishes Talend, when it comes to business users, is the tMap component. It allows the user to get a graphical and functional view of integration processes.

Check: http://www.talend.com/

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your posts

My questions are answered but i have one more regarding the same subject.

After searching same days on the web i found that most import-export solutions use the "IDoc Interface". This solution involves creating XML files from SAP and then importing these files with a custom application. Can someone provide me with a web link to a well structured documentation regarding this method ?

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

let's assume that you indeed do have the Oracle license that actually allows you to create objects in your oracle database (see note 581312 "Oracle database: licensing restrictions" for why this usually isn't the case for SAP customer).

So if you really are allowed to do such things, then you may want to look at the approach I described in my blog [Suck that data out ! Connect from Oracle to MaxDB|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/6225] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];.

Of course you've to be extremely careful about data types and everything will be manual labour, but you possibly can use triggers to propagate data changes from Oracle to MaxDB this way.

Depending on your exact requirements you may also think of a solution in the ABAP layer (go for this if possible!) by simply using two database connections and a regular syncronization run between both data sets.

hope that helps,

Lars