Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Oracle to MaxDb ( import / synchronize )

Hello,

I have downloaded MaxDb version 7.7.06.09 32bit and i have installed it on a Windows XP Professional machine.

Also i have installed Database Studio 7.7.06.09 for Windows 32 bit.

I need to import some tables from an existing SAP R/3 Enterprise 4.7 installation that uses Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 in to MaxDb.

In the future if everything works ok i intend to synchronize the tables from Oracle with those from MaxDb but only in one way, changes to Oracle tables will be transported to MaxDb.

So my questions are :

1. can i import some tables (let's say VBRP and VBRK) from Oracle to MaxDb ?

2. can i synchronize the tables as i described ?

3. what tools should i use ?

Edited by: Cristian Radu on Jul 3, 2009 9:44 AM

Former Member
replied
<body><p>> I have read your blog post &quot;Suck that data out ! Connect from Oracle to MaxDB&quot; and i've seen that it describes how to move data from MaxDB to Oracle Database. That's good to know, but i need to move data from Oracle to MaxDB.</p><p></p><p>So what? DBLinks are two-way connections... instead of SELECT you use INSERT/UPDATE on the remote table and you have your opposite direction.</p><p></p><p>> You said something about trying a synchronization using ABAP. Please give me more information if you think this is the best solution. I haven't done till now an ABAP program that connects to MaxDb but i have written some reports in ABAP. Can you provide some links that will give me a start.</p><p></p><p>Yes, I would definitively go for the ABAP approach.</p><p>You may have a look to discussions on low-level-db-access like these ones:</p><p></p><p><span __jive_macro_name="thread" id="1396269"></span> </p><p>&#91;Questions to SAP Support: Is ODBC access to the database a good idea?|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/9742&#93 <b>[original link is broken]</b> <b>[original link is broken]</b> <b>[original link is broken]</b>;</p><p></p><p>... and the many more threads on this topic.</p><p></p><p>The main point is: touching SAP data directly on database level does circumvent all security and consistency constraint. </p><p>It brings huge problems to the maintenance of your system landscape and is a horror to debug in case of problems.</p><p></p><p>Define a clean abap report, BAPI, web server ... whatever suits your needs. But don't go below the ABAP level!</p><p></p><p>To get a start, check note</p><p>#955670 - DB-MultiConnect mit MaxDB als sekundu00E4rer Datenbank</p><p></p><p></p><p>> Also i have seen that &quot;Database Studio&quot; has an import feature. Can i use that somehow in order to import data from Oracle ?</p><p></p><p>No, SAP MaxDB Database Studio is a tool for MaxDB only.</p><p></p><p>> PS The company that i am working for HAS licences for Oracle and Sap.</p><p></p><p>The question is: are the Oracle licenses used for the SAP databases bought from SAP or from Oracle directly!</p><p></p><p>regards,</p><p>Lars</p></body>
0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question