Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching of user access for substitute during vacation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

We have A and B user

If A is going leave for 10 day,

For this ten day, I want to switch the A user role to B user,

Which we have to do in single step.

I know by changing composite role it possible,

Is there any other way ?

Best Regards

Dilip Pasila

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Jul 2, 2009 11:45 AM

Subject title corrected

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If B is also doing his own work during this period you could consider linking user A to user B as a reference user. That way user B should have both users' rights.

The only issue I see here is that user B does not have user A's user parameters and these may be necessary....

8 REPLIES 8

Former Member
0 Kudos

No other way Dilip.

Regards,

Pavan

0 Kudos

> No other way Dilip.

I can think of several ways of doing this and there is nothing which makes Composite Roles mandatory to use, and therefore be the only solution.

Most people I know who have had to clean up big authorization concept messes do not even like composite roles...

Which type of role is this? For which application (HR, etc)?

Cheers,

Julius

ps: I have opened the thread again.

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Jul 2, 2009 11:37 PM

0 Kudos

Hey Julius,

We are using composite role method and after golive we added lot of single role to user,

composite role can switch by adding user in PFCG , but for single role switch is become complicated.

can u plz suggest me.

Best Regards

Dilip Pasila

0 Kudos

Hi,

If you are using Composite roles then its beeter to manage or assign users with composite roles only. A mixture of single and composite roles will make the scenario a complex one. One possiblity or way out is if a single role needs to be assigned to a user instead of a composite one (as comp. roles give wider access) then try to include the single role with Business approval to any of the assigned position roles later after discussion with business process owners. Check and let us know if any issue.

Regards

Aveek.

0 Kudos

Composite roles only give wider access if they have been designed to. I have a system in front of me where there are composites which contain less access than single roles.

0 Kudos

As the others have mentioned, you get what you build for.

My recommendation if you use composites, is to only use them. Otherwise avoid them and build "better" and less single roles. This will also be easier for you during upgrades.

In this case I guess there is a temptation to have a smaller single role to assign with a validity period to the user. The problem is that if you have 50 000 of those, then you have a mess in no time...

Another option would be to use a workflow solution which you can configure for "approval" type of tasks for example. That way the user does not necessarily even need the authority themselves, and the person going on vacation can request and setup their representative themselves, and cancel it when they come back, etc...

Cheers,

Julius

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If B is also doing his own work during this period you could consider linking user A to user B as a reference user. That way user B should have both users' rights.

The only issue I see here is that user B does not have user A's user parameters and these may be necessary....

0 Kudos

You can set the expiry date on the role assignment for both the users.