cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XSI implementation with UPS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are looking at the possiblity of implementing Express shipping interface (XSI) with UPS in SAP. I have following questions:

1. Can we get the tracking number generated in SAP rather than waiting for UPS to create tracking numbers and sending to back to SAP. I have read we can have the number range setup in SAP in accordance with UPS guidelines of tracking numbers and then we can create tracking numbers in SAP. But these tracking numbers if created in SAP, where are they location on a delivery. Does it go on the "PARCEL TRACKING" screen?

2. I want someone to confirm if we can print labels out of SAP with the tracking numbers on it. I can see standard output KEP6 which is in Handling units, but has anyone used this feature.

3. What is the relevance of END OF DAY/MANIFEST process?

4. Any other things I need to consider while implementing XSI?

Thanks.

Naren Ginagam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naren,

It is very much possible to integrate the UPS without using XSI and can generate the tracking number and shipping labels and update the freight and tracking number on the delivery document and handling unit. It is very simple process to work with UPS.

ProcessWeaver has been helping many SAP customers to automate the UPS process with-in SAP landscape using the Enterprise Centralized Shipping (ECS) solution.

1) Tracking number will go on the parcel tracking, where you can track it from SAP.

2) Regarding the UPS compliant shipping label, you can print using the standard SAP process by getting the response from UPS and print the label buffer directly to the printers.

3) End of Day process is no longer required, if you use the standard UPS integration

4) We were able to do without using XSI, we have implemented directly from ABAP.

Let me know if you need anything,

Thank You,

Kumar Vidadala

(408) 836 7074

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are going forward with ECS (enterprise centralized shipping) solution and like Kumar mentioned it is an ABAP object which is installed in SAP LANDSCAPE directly. In addition to this ABAP object there is another .exe file installed by vendor on each system. After packing is completed at delivery or shipment level, user executes this z-transaction and select each HU created and request tracking numbers and labels from UPS by clicking a button. After the button is clicked in front end by user in SAP, this .exe file passes the information on HU over internet to UPS server (internet is required on the system in which SAP is installed). And within few seconds, tracking numbers are in SAP and labels are printed directly at local thermal printer. So, no requirement for additional interfaces, use of XI. The vendor which installs this solution has mentioned this as SAP CERTIFIED code.

SAP XSI is no longer supported by UPS so going with ECS option.

Thanks everyone for support.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Naren,

I found an excellent SAP ASUG webcast on this topic that discusses multi-carrier integration into SAP. The demo includes live demonstrations in a customer environment and could be a useful reference for you implementation. You can download the webcast here:

http://jive.asug.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/21227-102-1-24560/DistTrans.6.30.09.wrf

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Naren

1.I have built an interface with UPS parcel tracking where the tracking number was generated internally in SAP using a bespoke user exit and a new number range object, so I acan confirm it is possable to generate the tracking numbers.

2. Once the tracking numbers are in the SAP database in whatever form they can be printed, it might mean a simple modification to the SAP stndard output. if you use the barcode for internal routing first it is possable to negotiate a bespoke label design with some carriers as well.

3. What is the relevance of END OF DAY/MANIFEST process? in our scenario it was used as an audit function, number/cost at the end of the day. i.e. a management summary.

4. Any other things I need to consider while implementing XSI?

Is it the SAP HU you are tarcking or the delivery/ shipment how do they map to the UPS termonology. What UPS services are you going to use.

Thanks.

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

Is it possible for you to send me the details on the client as UPS would like to directly check with the UPS team which was involved when you implemented XSI at your client.

For some reason I am finding it very difficult to convince UPS team that tracking numbers can be generated out of SAP instead of UPS. And where is WORLDSHIP in the whole XSI picture..do we completely skip it or when we say XSI with UPS it means WORLDSHIP??

Thanks.

Naren Ginagam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Naren,

The development was done for a former client so is confidential, if you would like to contact me directly I can eather put you in touch with the client and or their UPS representative.

My contact details are accessable by clicking on link on name or SAP buisness card.

In addittion we can also update this thread with any developments required to keep the thread updated.

Thanks James