cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loopback Adapter Install

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to follow the instructions for installing the Microsoft Loopback adapter. I am trying to install Netweaver CE into a virtual machine environment.

Instructions say to adjust the "hosts" file with <permanent IP address> <host name>.

Therefore, for the example would this be:

10.10.0.10 localhost

Do I leave the existing line?

127.0.0.1 localhost

Do I need to add something like?

10.10.0.10 newhost

If someone has an example of how this file should look it would help a lot.

Thanks...Marv

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Let me make it more clear

When you have a standalone system which is not connected to any network then we go with installing lookback adapter which SAP assumes that there is a network connection estabilished ,provide and IP address to that Loopback adapter which act as a network adapter,same IP adress has to be mentioned in hostfile also

If your standalone system is connected to Internet then you can provide the same ip address of the internet connection in the hostfile then there is no need for loopback adapter in this case.

Do I ping 127.0.0.1 or 10.10.0.10??

Just try ping only 10.10.0.10 and your hostname

Let me know if needed more information

Regards

Uday

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Uday, Lokendra --

I guess my problem is I don't know what a "loopback" adapter does, therefore I don't know whether it is installed correctly.

Uday -- Do I ping 127.0.0.1 or 10.10.0.10?? Should they both "ping" after the "loopback adapter" is installed?

Thanks...Marv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marv,

Have you installed the loopback adapter at windows level. If not please install the adapter as per below steps:

Start->Settings->Control Panel-> Add/Remove New hardware -> Next-> Add or Troubleshoot a device-> select Add New Device->Next->Select No, I want to select the hardware from the list->Next->select Network Adapters-> Next-> Select the Manufacturer Microsoft -> Microsoft Loop back Adapter->next -> Finish

Now goto Network place select the Microsoft Loopback and goto property by right click and select the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and assign the IP Address. In you case it is 10.10.0.10

You can make entry in Host File.

Hope this will help you install the SAP NE...

Enjoy

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

Do I leave the existing line?
127.0.0.1 localhost

Yes leave it as it is

Do I need to add something like?
10.10.0.10 newhost

Yes you are in the right that is the way we need to make entries in host file at the end try ping the address once

Regards

Uday

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you check this link which has the example

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236869

Thanks,

Sridhar