Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackGround Job's Spool Request is having "Waiting" "Frontend unavailable"

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

I am facing one problem related to Spool Request, which is generated through Scheduled Background Jobs (scheduled by funcional people).

The Background Job is having status "completed" when analyzing it. But, its associated Spool Request is showing "waiting" Status, with "Frontend unavailable" as Status Text.

Here is the brief status of that Spool Request.

28448     1      300 USER1 00:00 LP01 X_65_80      Frontend unavailable

in Detail:

Description          Value
Last event:
Date:                01.07.2009
Time:                00:00:27
Job status:          On hold
Error class:         Delayed
Area:                Data transfer
Printout:            Not printed

The Setting of LP01 O/Device is as followed:

Output Device        LP01
Device Type        SWIN SWIN  : Windows printing via SAPlpd
Device Class      Standard Printer

Host Spool Access Method       F F: Printing on Front End Computer
Host printer                     __DEFAULT

Moreover, the SAP User USER1 is allocated LP01 as Output Device with "Output Immediately" & "Delete After Output" checked status.

Some Background Jobs are showing the same status for this LP01.

I have a doubt on allocated O/P Device LP01.

Any Clue for this issue ?

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavik,

Regarding the output request status error saying front end unavailable,

It is because of the using the access method "G" in the Front end printing.

When you schedule the job in background you can just go to Step>Printer Specification>Outpu type and make it is as send to spooler only. ( default it will be output immediately)

AS in case of background job you need only the spool request not the output request( which you can create in sp01).

If you maintain the setting about you can use any printer with any Access method to the background job, and if you are using any specific user for batch job in the user master also please check whether the output immediately is selected or not

Thanks & Regards,

Balaji.S

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Change Access Method change "F" to "G"

F no longer supported by sap.

Regards

SurendraJain

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"G" does also not work in this case because a background process has no connection to a terminal and hence the system doesn't know to which frontend it should send the output. The frontend could even be logged off.

The "solution" is to create the printer on a print server, connect the SAP system to the print server and print via network.

Markus

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Markus,

I am not getting your point.

Can you explore the matter.

If the User is scheduling Background job without Printer Specification, it will work ?

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right but before going to analysis for next step first correct what have done wrong.

If printer installed and still giving message then check saplpd .might be corrupt some .dll as i faced .

saplpd - http://help.sap.com/saphelp_45b/helpdata/en/d9/4a91d351ea11d189570000e829fbbd/content.htm

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

Here , in our Landscape , there is not Print Server. All are taking prints through, Networked Printer and their local connected Printers.

Can i configure "send to SAP Spooler for now" instead of "Print Immediately "in the Print Specification of those Background Jobs ?

Moreover, Some Background jobs are sending E-Mails with the processed Reports as an Attachments. They are showing sometime unexpected behavior, in sending emails, although there is no relation is with this Printing related issue.

When i am looking into "Overview of Send Orders" of SCOT, some Background Jobs are showing success for sending emails, and some are not showing success, even though All the recipients are same for the scheduled Background Jobs which are running on same time.

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

of course you can print from a background job but you can not use a frontend printer (access method G or F).

Markus

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is normal behaviour. A background program can't print to a frontend printer.

Markus

former_member524429
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

User are reporting a problems.

May i know, for scheduling Background Job in "Printer Specification" which Printer/ Output device should be given ?

All user are running their Background Jobs with LP01 Printer, which is configured for "Local Front-end Printing" Purpose. Is it valid to give it in Background Job Scheduling ?

Regards,

Bhavik G. Shroff

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Read

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/21/41e3e7a9d8c54bb360f628d4525838/frameset.htm

Frontend printing in batch is not supported because in the background, there is no connection to the frontend.

Markus