cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Key Mapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Please help me to understand the Key Mapping concept in context to SAP MDM.

How the key mapping values get created while importing the data through the import manager and what role key mapping playes while importing the reference or look up data for the first time.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjan

How the key mapping values get created while importing the data through the import manager and what role key mapping playes while importing the reference or look up data for the first time.

Key mapping stores the unique ID for each lookup record imported with a reference to the remote system from which data has been imported.

Suppose you are importing lookup table data, say Regions, from ECC systems A and B. Steps for doing this:

1. Define remote systems A and B in console. Enable remote key mapping for Lookup table REGION.

2. During import select remote system as A and make a clone field for the region code field. Map this field to both remote key and region code available in destination items.

3. Select the remote key as matching field and import the data.

4. In data manager you can see(via edit key mapping) for the records imported a remote key value as A, region code.

5. repeat the steps for system B.

Now in MDM for each region record we know what was the source of data and this helps when we syndicate this information back to the remote systems. use has been explained in more detailed way by others in the thread.

Best regards

Ravi Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Key Mapping is bassically required to maintain individuality of each remote system form where your data is comin or going.

E.g.

Remote System1:

Country Name: India

Country Code: IN

Remote System2:

Country Name: India

Country Code:INDIA

When your are bringing data into MDM from these systems logically you should have 2 record created by the name of India with different codes. Consolidation being 1 of the key features of MDM, These 2 diff set of data will be stored as 1 record in MDM with keys maintained for RS1 and RS2. So when u'll syndicate/import data from/to MDM, records will be imported or exported wrt keys and Remote system they are interacting with.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/30843106-5539-2b10-75a9-da483911...

Hope it gives you some clarity.

Thanks.

Manish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rajan,

As all of us one of the main functions of MDM is to eliminate duplicates ok?

now let consider that you have 2 offices one at US and another in India. lets say that you use citi bank both in india and US to do the transcations, of course there are also some other banks that you deal with.

As you know any transcation that you do with CITI bank(US) is not same as CITI bank(IND). Which means even though the bank is same these two are 2 different entities.

know lets built a table for list of banks that you do transcations both in india and US

BANKS-US

bank num - 1 bank name - barkalays

- 2 south american bank

- 3 millenium bank

- 4 Citi bank

- 5 american express

Bank - IND

bank num - 1 bank name - sbi

bank num - 2 ING Vysa

3 citi bank

4 punjab national bank

now when we are import all these data into MDM citi bank will be always a duplicate records. BUT IT IS NOT ACTUALLY DUPLICATE since it record1 of citi bank belongs to US and other belongs to IND.

So inorder to over come this one what I create tha remote system ( we can create this in remote systems table under admin node ) in MDM where i name all the data coming from US as BANK-US and from IND as BANK-IND

now when we import data into MDM we log in into respective remote system for example if I am to import data from US i specify my remote system as BANK-US and similarly with india and import data. So now when you see the data in data manager you can find only 1 records of CITI bank.

now if you want to see which citi bank it is right click press "edit key mapping" there you can citi bank record of both the systems.

Similarly the same concept applys for objects also i.e when similar record belongs to two different objects