cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not accpeting Nulls

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi SDNers,

I facinf problem in MDM. While importing data into MDM I selected a Matching Field in Import Manager.

If the matching field was Null the record should be created.

Example: Matching filed was Mobile Number

If in the Input file contains 2 records. I record Mobile number is : 111 and second record the mobile Number is : BLANK

when I import both records should create.

Any solution regarding this

Thanks

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Even though Import Manager shows all the records being imported into MDM. It ONLY import the DISTINCT values based on Matching field

To be Very clear lets work out with the following example: it is better to copy the below in to excel and work out your self

Note: Consider "X" as null or replace "X" with null when you copy into excel and wroking with it.

Mobile1----

Mobile2

111111----

xxxxxx

222222----

xxxxxx

333333----

xxxxxx

xxxxxx----

xxxxxx----

666666----

xxxxxx

xxxxxx----

xxxxxx----

999999----

xxxxxx

Total 9 records

Case1 : select "Mobile1" as matching field you will find record8 ONLY imported, this is due to record4,record5 and record7 have same value so record5, record7 will be deleted and record8 is imported.this is due to rule that import manager imports only distinct values.

Case2 : select "Mobile2" as matching field you will find only record1, record2, record3 and record6 are vanished and record9 is imported this is due to same rule that import manager imports only distinct values.

so coming back to question why the NULL are not being replaced with record value once the check for null value is true. this is to due to the fact that all null values are identified by Import manager and replaced by distinct value. so there will 1 record value. Please check it correctly.

You can import all values creating a field and having a unique value to it. Then your table should be following way. with 3 fields in console ( RecordNo,Mobile1 and Mobile2)

RecordNo--Mobile1--

Mobile2

1--

111111--

xxxxxx

2--

222222--

xxxxxx

3--

333333--

xxxxxx

4--

xxxxxx--

5--

xxxxxx--

6--

666666--

xxxxxx

7--

xxxxxx--

8--

xxxxxx--

9--

999999--

xxxxxx

Let us know if this is not working.

THE TABLE IS NOT FORMATTING WELL. if you need it i can email it to you

Edited by: SDN POWERED on Jun 29, 2009 6:47 PM

Edited by: SDN POWERED on Jun 29, 2009 6:50 PM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

When you use import manager to import the file , in map fields/values tab , navigate to the particular filed which has null value and then Right click on it. From the options there choose "Set value conversion filter" then choose "Set value to null".

After this you can import as usual and the blank value will be imported.

Regards

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

you can/have to define the NULL handling in Import Manager. Check the settings in the Maps "Configuration Options". There you can define the default NULL handling for the complete map (e.g. ignore, preserve, and so on). In addtion, you can define the null handling on field level, too. Simply right-click on the source/destination field an choose the related option from the context menu.

Details are available in the Import Manager Reference Guide.

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Micheal,

I tried these options but I am not able to create Matching Filed( Blank) records.

Any other solution

Thanks

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Ravi

Only those fields are available for matching which are mapped. Please see the field as well as value apping for mobile number field.

Hope you have not defined this field as Unique for the table, otherwise 2 entries with blank value will again fail to import violating unique constraints.

For handling the NULL field values please follow the steps as described. It will definitely work

regards

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Its not working what I want. Any other solution?

Thanks

Ravi