Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to debug a search help exit FM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am writing a search help exit FM. It is not returning the data I want and I know I could solve my problem if I could just enter the code and see what it is actually doing.

I have not been able to get the debugger to come up by simply putting a stop in the search help exit FM. Is there some other trick that I need to do to trigger the debugger?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member

Hi,

Use Explicit break point in ur code & remove it one u have bebug the program .

U r not allowed to transport break point in code and hence this statement is only used only for debugging

Syntax

BREAK-POINT { [ID group]

| { [log_text] [AT NEXT APPLICATION STATEMENT] } }.

eg.

BREAK-POINT manoj.

U can also use break point without id. but it will stop execution for all.

Mark helfull answers & close the thread if satisfied.

Regards

Manoj

Message was edited by: Manoj Gupta

9 REPLIES 9

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try running it Directly from SE37 it self.

and debug it.

Regards

vijay

Former Member

Hi,

Use Explicit break point in ur code & remove it one u have bebug the program .

U r not allowed to transport break point in code and hence this statement is only used only for debugging

Syntax

BREAK-POINT { [ID group]

| { [log_text] [AT NEXT APPLICATION STATEMENT] } }.

eg.

BREAK-POINT manoj.

U can also use break point without id. but it will stop execution for all.

Mark helfull answers & close the thread if satisfied.

Regards

Manoj

Message was edited by: Manoj Gupta

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you hard code a break point in the searh help exit (if it is a bespoke one) and test the search help via SE11, it will go in.

Hard code it like this BREAK XXXXXXX where xxxxxxx is your user name.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Larissa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Larry,

I have developed an Function module for search help exit and have debugged also.

Procedure to dedubg your search help FM exit :

1. open FM in se37.

2. Place cursor in the code, click on break point icon.

3. go to your search help.

Control stops at your FM.

No need to put stop or hard code break point.

Hope this helps.

Mark helpful answers.

Regards,

Kapil Patil

0 Kudos

Kapil,

This is the procedure that does not work for me. It is interesting that you can get this to work and I cannot. It works for me in regular programs and function modules, just not in search help exit FM's.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all that answered my question. This worked. However, I have now discovered that even though I change and activate my search help exit FM, the FM continues to run the original code. I got the break point to work because I put it in before I activated the FM the 1st time. Is there another trick to actually activate changes to search help exit FM's?

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you use the test tool via se11, select search help in display mode and enter name of our search help. Your exit should be in the search help exit field on the next screen. There will be a test icon, which will go into your search help. If you make changes, you will need to call the transaction again (ie refresh the session) to have the new code come in.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos

That did it. I knew that!! Man do I feel stupid!!!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don't worry. I do it all the time until the penny drops.