Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALV vs Table Control

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Could someone please tell me whether ALV is faster or Table Control. I mean for processing. The features required are Colouring cell, Adding checkbox in cell, adding a link in cell etc.

I know that this is possible in ALV, but no idea whether it could be done in table control. Please throw some light on this.

Please let me know the reasons behind one being faster than another.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Prashant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

Actually ALVs and Table controls are used in totally different contexts , one in reporting and the other in module pool programming.So, there is very little sense in comparing them.

If you talk about speeds, ALVs are indeed faster and are to be used to display large number of records in a table format.

Whereas if the requirement is to update data to the database through a transaction, use a table control.

Regards,

Ravi

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

Prashanth,

I would go with ALV Grid for its use friendly features, implementing OO ABAP etc. And more over the development is so easy and you don't have to deal with cumbersome dialog programming of the Table Control.

Regards,

Ravi

Note :Please mark the helpful answers

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

Actually ALVs and Table controls are used in totally different contexts , one in reporting and the other in module pool programming.So, there is very little sense in comparing them.

If you talk about speeds, ALVs are indeed faster and are to be used to display large number of records in a table format.

Whereas if the requirement is to update data to the database through a transaction, use a table control.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer this thread:

Regards,

Gayathri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

Using ALV control will be easier than using Table Control from coding point of view, as in table control you will have to code for each action in PAI and PBO.

ALV OO approach gives you the functionality and all you need is to implement the methods.

You can take help of how to go about the ALV coding from the following document :<a href="http://www.abap4.it/download/ALV.pdf">http://www.abap4.it/download/ALV.pdf</a>

former_member223537
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My question is which of the above two is faster.

Not about how to go about coding.

Regarding the context, i dont think, it is a rule that ALV should be used in only report. ALV can also be used in Module pool programming.

My requirement is to have either ALV or Table control depending upon the one which is FASTER in processing irrespective of whether it is easy or difficult to code.

Best regards,

Prashant

0 Kudos

Hi,

ALV grid control is faster when compared to Table control. But the comaprision is Negligible .

Regards

vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

ALV Grid is basically used for display puropse. It is more user friendly. There are arious features ( such as coloring, sorting, saving to a local file, sedning by mail etc. ) These featurs make ALV Grid a very good option to display the data .

However , the table control is not only used to display data take from the database table, but also you can do operation such as deletion of data from database table, insertion of data into the database table and updation also. Yeah it has not got the various features whihc ALV has.

So table control and ALV Grid , if you are just using for display purpose, then ALV Grid is a better option due to its layout and attractive features. But if you want to do the database operations other than display, table control can be used.

As far as execution is concerned, I think ALV Grid is faster.

Regards,

Kunal.