cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Open items - Sales orders/ purchase orders and unbilled deliveries

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All

Can you please tell me the best practice to migrate open sales orders, purchase orders and deliveries due for billing at Cutover to the new system?

Also how can the historical data be migrated? What all comes under historical data?

Many Thanks

CM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The way the sales order data is migrated is largely dependent on the number of orders you are intending to migrate. 'Best practice' would suggest you do the following:

1) Do not migrate any completed orders (they should be kept as 'read only' in the legacy system)

2) Get the business to close as many orders as possible before the cutover

3) Stop entry of any new orders during the cutover the period - hold them back and enter them directly into SAP.

Once you have a manageable numebr of orders to migrate you really have two options:

Upload the basic order into SAP (we have usually done this from a spreadsheet using ALE or some similar tool). The basic data is confirmed to order type, order number, order date, customer number, material code and quantity. Any data in addition to this is then added manually to the system by the users e.g. pricing info (this is really important as pricing data is really difficult to map). To do this you will need to have sequenced this correctly e.g. ensuring that the data and config for both the materials and customers are all already in the system before you load the orders.

The second option would be to load them all completely manually - which is why I said at the beginning that really, the best approach is determined by the quantity of orders you need to migrate.

I am sure other people will have used other methods but these two are the ones we usually use.

(edit) P.S. you must remember that 'open' sales orders are any orders that are not yet billed so even if an order is delivered in your legacy system if it has not been invoiced you MAY need to migrate it. But as I metioned at the beginning - it would really be better to complete that order (i.e. bill it) before you close the legacy system so that it does not need to be migrated.

========

For deliveries - again, there is no simple fix for this. Because the migration of a delivery demands the migration of an open sales order, the best approach is probably to load the sales order basic data, get the users to complete the sales orders (as described above) and then run the delivery due lists or manually and individually deliver each sales order item.

You cannot migrate ONLY the deliveries, you need to migrate the preceeding order(s) as well. But, again, if you take the approach of closing as many as possible in the legacy system, it will be much easier than migrating them.

Edited by: charlieclown on Jun 25, 2009 4:19 PM

Answers (0)