cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Response less Synchronous call.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a Synchrnous call (stored procedure) to be executed from BPM, but I am not expecting any response.

How can I make this call to wait for 30 min or 40 min, or till its successful.

Thanks-in-advance.

/Raj.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi raj,

<i>I have a Synchrnous call (stored procedure) to be executed from BPM, but I am not expecting any response.</i>

You want to execute a stored procedure from a BPM using JDBC adapter and this will not return anythinmg . Also, you need to know if the execution of the Stored Procedure is succesful.

In this case, you can configure your JDBC adapter synchronously and after the execution of the procedure, you will get a response back from the Database, cotainiong the number of rows updated and inserted.

If you do not want any synchronous call to the JDBC, then, one way to make sure is that the stored procedure ios executed succesfully is to use ALERTS. If the process was to error in the JDBC adapter, the Alert would be triggered and you can send the email.

Is this what you want or have i understood your requirements wrong?

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh,

Thanks for reply.

I need to execute a stored procedure, where my RFC has to wait till the Stor Procedure got executed completely,

I dont have any return fields to map, on both Stored procedure Response and RFC Response.

Important thing here is, I dont want to know whether its successful or not, but my RFC call has to wait till the stored procedure completes...even if takes 10 to 40 min.(these stored procedures usually takes 10 to 40 min at our client).

My question is, can we make a synchronous call till the stored procedure completes without any kind of response....even if it takes 10 min, 20 min, or 30 min??

Since I have a series of stored procedures, where I should not call another Stored procedure before the first call completes its execution.

The second call should be made if and only if the first call completely get executed.

Thanks-a-lot for the help.

/Raj.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi raj,

Can you please let us know what you mean by a Stored Procedure? I am not from an ABAP background and so, I might not be sure as to what u are referring to as a Stored Procedure. ASFAIK, there are no stored procedures in ABAP . Do correct me if i am wrong.

One work around would be to make your RFC return some dummy paramter which u can use in your BPM.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raj,

Not sure what do you mean by stored procedures here, Subroutines / functions which are internally called by the RFC.

In this case, I guess the best way is to have dummy parameter to let the BPM know that the RFC execution is completed.

Regarding the TIME OUT parameter, usually this is set at the system level by the admin team and 40 minutes is very high for keeping the connection active. Although it might be feasible technically, admin team might now allow that.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Bhavesh, and RaviKumar,

My scenario is, I make an RFC call to execute the Stored procedure, its not abap related, its something sits on the database itself. Instead of INsert/select, we use Execute for Stored procedure.

Both of you are right. I can make a dummy mapping, but I want to know exactly when that dummy mapping in the response closes.

Since we presently have the same functionality in BC, we have to implement it exactly like that.

Hope we are clear on this.

Ravi, we dont need either success or failure message to be returned, RFC has to wait till the stored procedure completes, then we will call another stored proc...

Thanks for your inputs.

/Raj.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi raj,

if you are going to do a normal execution of a stored procedure on a database ( say oracle ) then why do you need a RFC communication channel. You can use the JDBC adapter itself right??

I am not able to understand the need of a RFC communciation channel in your case. Use a JDBC adapter to call the stored procedure of your database, and then use its response like i mentioned in my first reply to this thread.

Regards,

Bhavesh

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi raj,

you are caling a stored procedure from your JDBC adapter and you want to make another RFC call , but this should happen only after the Stored Procedure has been executed.

is this your requirement..??

If yes, then this can be done in your BPM as follows,

1. Create a JDBC reciver adapter with a synchronous call to the database to execute the stored procedure.

After this stored procedure is called, the JDBC adapter will return the number of rows affected as a result of this execution of thsi stored procedure. You do not have to do anything special on your Stored Procedure for this. This is implicitly handled by the JDBC adapter.

The receeving of this response can be used to trigger the RFC call and your problem is solved.

DO let me know if this is what you require or is it something i ve misubnderstood wrong.

Regards,

bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh,

can we execute stored procedures from Jdbc adapter itself?. how can we do that? Pleas explain me more on this.

one more thing, if we execute the stored procedure from wherever, for how long it will execute, I mean when the connection will be closed?. since I have 5 stored procedures from BPM , which needs to be execute one after the other, based on condition that the second stor proc will be called only when the first one finishes...It doesnt matter wther its successful or not....

but the connection shouldnt be closed, in the middle.

According to existing BC, I understood that each stored procedure takes more than 10 min.

Thanks--alot for your time and effort.

//Raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh,

I saw your second reply after I replied to your earlier one.

Thats not my requirement.

I will mention the problem clearly, tomorrow.

Can you pleas give your mail Id.

Mine is Peddisetty@gmail.com

Good Night.

Raj.

Message was edited by: Raj

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

raj,

my mail id is available in my business card. Do let us know your requirements in detail.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

STALANKI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check this out to call stored procs from xi

/people/sriram.vasudevan3/blog/2005/02/14/calling-stored-procs-in-maxdb-using-sap-xi