Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Universeson different marts/databases

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

We are using BO XIR2

I have a question.

We have 2 different marts/databases with some factual and dimension information in both.

1) Is it possible to design a single universe on both these marts? How does a universe access both the databases and extract tables from it to build objects?

2) If this is possible, then How is it different from linking 2 universes and making a single universe from the 2 linked universes? Which is a better approach.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I believe that BO recommends that all the linked Universes also point to the same database. Not sure if it's a suggestion from them or a requirement.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In answer to your questions,

1) A single universe can only have one database connection, so you cannot create a single universe from more than one datasource.

2) Linking two universes, though possible, is not generally recommended as it increases the maintenance required (any changes to one of the universes requires the other universe to be moved through the development landscape as well).

If a database solution is not possible to bring these different sets of information together under a single datasource then the next best solution is to bring the information together at the reporting level by creating a query with multiple dataproviders (which can be from different universes) and merging the information into the final report using key figures that are common to each universe.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as i know its not directly possible to create a universe from 2 different data sources, its only possible by using data federator(which is used to create single database from 2 different data sources). Please go through this for an idea about Data Federator.

/people/frederic.vanborre/blog/2009/03/05/your-1st-df-project-in-less-than-15min-install-included

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/u/251908199. [original link is broken] [original link is broken]

Coming to linking universes( please go through universe designer guide, so that you will have a good idea about linking universes). As far as i know you will be linking universe or you will include a universe there is difference between these two approaches.(go through the guide for more details about linking)

Thanks,

SK.

Edited by: Vallabhaneni SK on Jun 25, 2009 9:42 AM