cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BACKUP OF SAP AND DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

If i take backup through DB13 or brtool on disk or Tape then how it will be effective for me if my system crash.

1) i have to install os and sap & restore backup through db12 or brtools ?

2) if i restore backup through db12 or brtools then system will be at same possion as the orignal system was running?. i mean all client & their data ( master data, user data etc) will restored.

or there is a different some thing different

Best Regard,

Imran Khan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> If i take backup through DB13 or brtool on disk or Tape then how it will be effective for me if my system crash.

> 1) i have to install os and sap & restore backup through db12 or brtools ?

Yes.

> 2) if i restore backup through db12 or brtools then system will be at same possion as the orignal system was running?. i mean all client & their data ( master data, user data etc) will restored.

Yes, everything that is in the database.

But keep in mind that you loose your transport history if you don't backup /usr/sap (filesystem).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks markus,

one new system , it mean that i will install just sap and go brtool & restore data.

for db bd12 , i will login to 000 client and restore data through db12.

in this way all client and their data will be restored ?

best regard

Khan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> for db bd12 , i will login to 000 client and restore data through db12.

???

I was talking about TMS (transaction STMS). The transports from DEV/QA/PRD are stored on a filesystem. If that is residing on the machine and you reinstall, it's lost.

> in this way all client and their data will be restored ?

see above.

Everything is restored to the point you took the backup. So if you take it at midnight, you will have the state of midnight. You can, however, reprocess the redo logs created between midnight and the time you set up the system. So those need, of course, be backed up too.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

i mean that when i restore backup that i take throught db13 , then i will login to 000 client on newly install sap system and restore data ,

then i will got all the clients and there data

for transport history i will make copy of /usr/sap/.... from original server and overan write on newly install system.

one thing more, hostname , SID sap & db will be same for both original and newly install system , or they can be diff?

best regard

Khan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> i mean that when i restore backup that i take throught db13 , then i will login to 000 client on newly install sap system and restore data ,

> then i will got all the clients and there data

No.

You restore the database, there is no system to start and restore it when it's running.

What I said was:

You schedule the backup at night at 0:00. If you have a crash in the morning at 7:00 and you restore the data from the backup at night, you have to reprocess all redo logs between 0:00 and 7:00. This must be done while the database is in "mount" status so no SAP system can be started and hence you can't do anything in client 000.

I highly suggest you get an idea how the database works by taking an Oracle class.

> for transport history i will make copy of /usr/sap/.... from original server and overan write on newly install system.

Do a backup as well - not only a copy.1

> one thing more, hostname , SID sap & db will be same for both original and newly install system , or they can be diff?

This is called systemcopy: http://service.sap.com/systemcopy

Former Member
0 Kudos

one thing more, hostname , SID sap & db will be same for both original and newly install system , or they can be diff?

same - system copy

diff - system refresh

Both can be done - either with an export/import or backup/restore procedures

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> same - system copy

> diff - system refresh

Nope.

System copy and system refresh are identical.

Read the system copy guide on the page above.

Markus

Answers (0)