cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC_ERROR_COMMUNICATION: Connect to message server failed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I created a logon group and am trying to connect to R/3 using this logon group. I got the following error message :

Could not connect to message server.

Error: partner not reached (host sapserver, service sapmsD11)

D11 - system Id and sapserver is the host name of R/3.

I am facing the above problem when i tried to add a new Group in the logon pad of any client machine. I entered the message server as sapserver and clicked "Generate List" . At that point of time i faced this problem.

Can the application host name and message server name can be same ? How to figure out the message server IP / name ? I tried using the transaction SMMS and the server name is sapserver_D11_01. Is this my message server name ?

I was able to connect to SAP from the front end that was installed on the R/3 server by saying message server as sapserver.

I added the service sapmsD11 in the services file of sap server as well as the client machines.

Thanks

Prasad.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

For Message Server try to give FQDN (fullly qualified domian name) or IP address of 'sapserver'

In your case: Hostname is 'sapserver'

FQDN should be something like this 'sapserver.domainname.com' or try to give IP address and generate list. you also need to have entry in 'etc/services' file sapms<SID> 36NN/tcp (NN is system Number).

To figure out IP address of your message server goto TCODE 'os01' and click on 'Appliation Server' and then click on 'change view'. You will see server name(which message Server) and IP Address.

I resolved this many times by using IP address or FQDN.

Thank You,

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

sapserver is not in the domain of our network. So, i tried using IP address of the machine. I added sapmsD11 3601/tcp in the client machine . Still, i am facing the same problem

Any clue ?

Thanks,

Prasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

Put an entry in hosts file of workstation (on your PC).hosts file can be loacted at 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc'

Add entry in hosts file "ipaddress hostname"

Example

127.0.0.1 localhost

or

10.10.10.91 sapserver

or

10.10.10.91 sapserver.domain.com (FQDN).

Hope this will work.

Thank You,

Praveen

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Add two empty lines in the end of file where the ports are added and restart the machine.

Then the changes were reflected and group log on worked.