cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Supplementation Language

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I installed languages in my CRM 7.0 system and I made the mistake to chosse a supplementation language where I dont't need one actually. E. g. I took English as supplementation language for Italian and that's not necessary.

Do you have any ideas how I can change the supplementation language or how I can delete it?

Thank you!

Best Regards

Ines

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ines,

officially there is no way to undo the supplementation.

Anyhow - even if this was possible, then the untranslated texts in those objects would come up e.g. in German (original language) or you would get an empty field (highly depends on the object type). So instead of getting Italian with (some) EN texts, you would get Italian with EN, DE texts and empty fields. In the worst case, some functionality would not work. So I would recommend to use supplementation in almost every case - the only exception would be a system which is used for translation with transaction SE63 - there supplementation is not recommended.

Simply changing the supplementation language even makes the whole setup worth - then you get a mixture of 3 languages ...

So in fact  in a global system I would recommend to supplement all languages with EN, as this is the most complete language and is usually understood best next to the native language.

For problems with language installations please have a look at:

SAP note 1375438 --> Attachment:  Translation_Config_v1.pdf

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can check the language supplementation in SMLT

SMLT -> Language -> Supplement Language

You should be able to do the changes there.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for reply but that doesn't solve my problem.

It's not possible to change the supplementation language.

It's only possible to change the language for customizing tables but not for the language in general.

Any other ideas?

Best Regards

Ines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer the link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/44/2bbc87369b060ae10000000a155369/content.htm

Delete a language

1. From the NLS Settings screen, choose Delete Language.

2. Enter the NLS key (two-character language ID) of the language you want to delete.

3. Choose Delete.

Let us know if you have any issues,

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry, but I have one more question.

Where/How do I set these NLS parameters? Is it a transaction code in the SAP-system?

Thank you.

Best Regards

Ines

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@Ravi, That links is for ITS... not related to this thread.

@Ines, NLS setting can be viewed on report RSCPINST, now I don't really know if removing a language and reinstalling is going to give you the option to choose the supplementation language again.... I presume is worthy to explore the option

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ines,

What is the problem if you select supplementation language as English, do you want to change the supplement language to any different apart from English/German?

As I know the supplement language will get applicable when the messages are not available in logon language.

Regards,

Sreenivas .Y

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I don't need a supplementation language. For e. g. Italian I don't need/want a supplementation language because now most of the text is in English and not in Italian.

Best Regards

Ines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ines,

I think you might have misunderstood someting regaring supplementation language.

You DO need a aupplementation language.

The only languages that are 100% translated in SAP are English and German - all other languages are only partially translated (70-80-90% - I don't know the exact number).

The language supplemtation is designed to fill out the gaps in the other languages, with texts in English or German.

If you changed/deleted the supplementation language for Italian (which I don't think you can) you would get a lot of blanks, where the English texts are today - and I don't think that is the result you're looking for.

Regards

Henrik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Henrik,

I checked other SAP-Systems and we don't use a supplementation language for languages like French or Italian. We use suppl. languages for Chinese and Japanese but not for the other ones.

Best Regards

Ines

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

As said earlier, you should use supplementation language because there are lot of programs for which translations in English and German exists but same does not exist for French/Italian language.

Even if you are not using in other systems, you should consider it for future strategy. Please check below link which explains it in detail:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73ehp1/helpdata/en/4d/906b7fbdc8497fe10000000a15822b/content.htm

Please check Example section in this link.

Thanks

Sunny

0 Kudos

Hi Ines,

You indeed need a suplementation language.

However as i read your posts you mention that a lot of transactions/popups/texts are in English.

When you implement a language, after the implementation you need to catch up the language part of the support packs already implemented to your SAP system.

For example you have an abap with stack 10, you implement the correct language pack, than you go to

SMLT

While performing this step you need to have the installed support pack in the EPS/in.

When you skip this part, or you only have a few SPs in the EPS/in the italian translation will not performed on many programs, as their respective language3 pack can be in lets say a BASIS package which you dont have.

So i would say your problem is not the supplemention, but the implementation of language parts from Support packs which are already installed.

BR,

Krisztian

caesar_mathias
Explorer
0 Kudos

There is a "secret" way to change the supplementation:

Please check Changing the SAP Supplementation Language - SAP SE63 by iLocIT.

But note that this is not officially supported by SAP.

You need to be careful with supplementation and should not change the supplementation language if you already supplemented the system with the current settings!