Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download table to a file in background

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I am not an ABAPer, just a lonely business analyst. I am trying to download the entire contents of a large SAP table to a text file using standard SAP. If I try doing that by using standard tcode SE12, I get a dump, because SAP GUI is trying to display too much data.

Is there a way to submit for a contents of a table to be downloaded in the background ? For example, I can go to SE12, provide selection criteria, specify which fields I would like to see, and GUI will display it. From that point on, I can save the output to a text file, XXL spreadsheet, whatever. How can I skip the display piece and submit for this file to be created in the background?

Thank you all in advance.

Sasa

Edited by: Sasa Mitrovic on Jun 23, 2009 4:34 PM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try this Option

Execute SE16 and select the table, and select the field you want to download. and execute ( F8 )

Ensure the output format should be ALV grid Display ( Menu bar )

from the output you can download directly by clicking Excel icon it will download all the data's

or

Execute SE16N and select Table ex.EQUI and select the field you want to view. and execute it will display in ALV grid display format from the application tool bar Select Download and select Microsoft excel it will download all the file.

Please correct me if i am wrong "Back ground process should not affect the memory overflow "..??

Hope it helps

Thanks

S.N

14 REPLIES 14

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Dont think that is possible without any code written for that. Morever, you cannot download to presentation server in background mode Correct me if i am wrong.

What best you can do is filter on some of the fields and download it.

Former Member

HI,

IF U WANT TO TO STORE THE DATA FROM TABLE TO TEXT FILE IN BACK GORUND THEN U HAVE O WRITE A CODE FOR THAT .

U ASK UR ABAPER TO RIGHT THE SIMPLE QUIRY FOR FRETCHING THE DATA FROM THE TABLE

IN TO ONE INTERNAL TABLE AND DOWNLOAD THAT IN.TABLE ON THE PRESENTATION SERVER .

IF U WANT TO STORE THE FILE ON PRESENTATION SERVER THEN U HAVE TO USE '

''OPEN DATASET' FOR OUTPUT " STATEMENT .

TRY THIS.... IT WIL WORK...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sounds good - thank you both.

Sasa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is way to do that in SE16 itself. .

After the entering the selection criteria in the SE16 for the table data you want to fetch, go to program menu-> select Exec in background or press F9.

It will show 'Background Print' Window, in the spool option, uncheck the print immediately & delete after output options and continue. Save the Job as immediate.

Now execute the SM37, you can find the backgound job which you created. Once the job is completed, check the spool list and save it as local file using system menu-> list -> save -> local file options.

Hope this will help you!!

Thanks,

Muthu

0 Kudos

Hi Muthu, that worked great!

So, it looks like I have to overcome one last hurdle: In my List of Spool Requests (SP01) I have a file whihch contains 5,195 pages. SAP GUI displays only 10 of them due to obvious performance reasons. No matter what I try, I cannot download the entire file, only the portion that GUI displays. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos

Hi Sasa,

Inside SP01 transaction, when you see the spool file output, there is a 'Settings' Button in the toolbar. Click on that, in the display area block you can mention the page limit to be displayed. But if you give huge number of page range, it will cause memory overflow. Eventhough you can try this option.

Thanks,

Muthu.

0 Kudos

Hi Muthu,

Thank you for your response. I have 5,195 pages, so it'll be a problem if I attempt to display them all. I was hoping for a way to download the file on my local machine without displaying it.

Thank you,

Sasa

0 Kudos

Hi Sasa,

As of now, I don't see any option to download the output on the local machine other than the way which I mentioned above. Otherwise you have to create a separate ABAP program for that.

You can try downloading the output as 1000 pages at once using the settings options and i don't think it create a memory overflow issue.

Thanks,

Muthu

0 Kudos

Yup...makes sense. Thanks for your help Muthu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try this Option

Execute SE16 and select the table, and select the field you want to download. and execute ( F8 )

Ensure the output format should be ALV grid Display ( Menu bar )

from the output you can download directly by clicking Excel icon it will download all the data's

or

Execute SE16N and select Table ex.EQUI and select the field you want to view. and execute it will display in ALV grid display format from the application tool bar Select Download and select Microsoft excel it will download all the file.

Please correct me if i am wrong "Back ground process should not affect the memory overflow "..??

Hope it helps

Thanks

S.N

0 Kudos

SN,

Thank you for your response.

The problem is the fact that total output contains almost 6000 pages, which will surely cause memory overflow. I was trying to find a way to dump that data in a text file without displaying it.

Thanks,

Sasa

0 Kudos

Please see Note 329537 and then go to SP01, select your spool (do not open it) in the list provided and then in the menu, "Spool Request>Forward>Export As Text". This will save the file in your local GUI directory.

0 Kudos

Very impressive Srinivas. Thank you.