cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time taken to execute code vs time taken to render to screen....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I noticed something strange while debugging some of my code.

I have a for loop in which I'm creating and adding node elements. Above the for loop I'm creating a modal window, and after the for loop I'm destroying the modal window. In the modal window I have a timedtrigger element with a delay of one second.

Here is the pseudocode:

createModalWindow();
for(int i=0; i<200; i++)
{
    // create and add node elements
}
destroyModalWindow();

Inside the modal windows wdDoInit() method I enable the timedTrigger, inside the wdDoExit() method, I disable the timedTrigger.

When I execute this code I get a null pointer exception because the application is trying to destroy a window instance that doesn't exist!!! ie the modal window. When I comment out the destroyModalWindow() line, I noticed that the modal window get rendered after the loop has finished its processing not before like I'd expect. Could this mean the line destroyModalWindow(); is being called too early? Once the loop has processed there might be some clinet / server delay?? Another thing I noticed was the timed trigger event, even though its set to a 1 second delay, takes about 6 seconds on a round trip from the client to Web Application Server!!!! So even though on the WAS its processing it every second, it takes almost 6-7 seconds for it to render on the client browser!

Has anyone else noticed this delay in rendering to code execution? Is it possible the Web Dynpro may terminate earlier than expected or sometimes we might not even see the results because time taken to render is slower than time taken to process request?

What are peoples' thoughts?

MM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

tom_cole3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Sorry if I misinterpret your question...

Remember Web Dynpro is server side technology. So no actual rendering happens at all until all code has been executed, then wdDoModify is called, and then output is generated and sent to the browser for rendering. Of course I can't see your code in it's completion, but the modal window should never display under any circumstances, as the call to create() and then destroy() happen within the same execution cycle, from what I can tell of your snippet.