cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should we use BAPI or PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

We want to transfer data between SAP/PS and CATS on one hand and Microsoft Project on the other hand. I'm the project leader for the project that realizes this.

The vendor who creates the connector between both systems 'swears' that the best way to interface is to use BAPI.

On the other hand our internal ICT people 'swear' that all interfacing should go through PI.

And I am in between hammer and anvil

What are the arguments for and against BAPI? What are the argument for and against PI?

Any useful information is very welcome.

THanks in advance.

Kind regards.

Marc

PS: I see lots of postings on difference between BAPI and RFC. Is RFC same thing as PI???

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

>And I am in between hammer and anvil

eh, no, you are the project leader...

>What are the arguments for and against BAPI?

pro BAPI: cheaper, easier and faster to realize

>What are the argument for and against PI?

pro PI: better monitoring, better integration strategy, no point to point, better maintenance

>I see lots of postings on difference between BAPI and RFC. Is RFC same thing as PI???

No. At ABAP stack of SAP system there is always a remote function module behind a BAPI. The corresponding channel at PI is called RFC channel.

Regards,

Udo

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

PI allows you to have a better monitoring strategy, and it's the sap standard for that kind of the development, although BAPI should be easier to implement, i guess it depends if the development is complex or not

Check this thread about your RFC vs BAPI question

stefan_grube
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> The vendor who creates the connector between both systems 'swears' that the best way to interface is to use BAPI.

> On the other hand our internal ICT people 'swear' that all interfacing should go through PI.

Both are right.

> PS: I see lots of postings on difference between BAPI and RFC. Is RFC same thing as PI?

No. Maybe you ask your ICT guys for details.