cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

key things to consider when chosing communication approach between XI and l

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to all XI experts,

I was wondering may one of Xi experts may give some feedback to the fallowing questions?

What are the key things to consider when chosing communication approach between XI and legacy?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of Web Services/FTP when it comes to scalablity (new plants will be rolled out on the SAP template, and potential re-usability will be looked in to)?

Provided that the client get the Web Service infrastructure in place on the legacy side, are there any disadvantages to use Web Services for some interfaces while some use FTP?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Message was edited by: santoshkumar kaveti

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Santosh,

XI comes with many out of the box adapters which help you in most of the communication scenarios with legacy systems. You must first find out what kind of interfacing is possible with the legacy system.e.g. if a Legacy system can read/write the data to be exchanged to a JMS compliant MOM then you can use JMS adapters to communicate,same with file based interfaces and so on. May be you should have a look at all the SAP standard adapters and their features.

-- Amol

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

I totaly aggery to all the previous posts.

I have few of my point.

If your legasy system supports web service than you should go for that beacause it would be easy,secure and sclable. Secure because you can use SSL, and even WSSE encryption.

For FTP you might have to install FTP server component on the legacy system. and additionly you have to configure you File adapter in such a way that it understands file format which is used by leagcy system. Here web service scores well because every message will be in same format.

<i>Provided that the client get the Web Service infrastructure in place on the legacy side, are there any disadvantages to use Web Services for some interfaces while some use FTP?</i>

XI will not have any problem in above senario because XI works on adapter, for the interface which uses Web service you can use SOAP Adapter. and for the FTP interface you have to use File adapter

If you ask me i will go by following path.

1. If file writing in legacy system is easy and the format is constant, and can be easyly converted in XML than go for FIle Adapter with FTP.

2. If creating webservice is easy than use web service.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kaveti

Apart from the above it also depends whether you want Synchronous or Asynchronous communication.

So find some useful info. in the urls:

---Mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kaveti

XI comes with many inbuilt adapters like File, SOAP etc. Depending upon how you send data to XI you can use different adapters. Go through the below urls and findout which adapter might suit to you:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d53af8ca-0801-0010-08b0-dce...

http://www.crosschecknet.com/resources/white_papers/sap_va.pdfhttp://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/help...

SAP Notes: 856597

---Mohan