Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

batch number issue in sales order

former_member496861
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We use materials that are batch managed. Say for a material, I have 3 batches as 11021H, 1022H and 11023H that are available for sales. If i create a sales order and manually choosing the last batch 11023H, the order is saved and created. Here no more stock for 11023H.

However when i need to sell one case of the same material and let the system default, it stated material unavailable and refer to batch 11023H. If I create the same material and manually enter an earlier batch like 11021H, system will take it.

Question is: After i used the last batch manually, the system cannot decide the earlier batch ?

Is there a way to fix this issue to let system still use earlier batches ? There are times we may have to enter a batch manually depending on the material. We use FIFO.

thank you in advance.

Joyce

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai joyce,

I dont think that is possible as you are using FIFO, and i think you have activated automatic batch determination in your process.

regards,

Sudhir

former_member496861
Participant
0 Kudos

HI Sudhir,

I was hoping to be able to do something about it. How can i tell if batch determination is automated ?

We still assign the batch number ourselves.

thank you

Joyce

Edited by: Joyce Chan on Jun 22, 2009 2:16 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello, joyce.

it's possible batch is not auto-determined in your case.

to determine auto batch determination, check at item category level. this can be done separately for sales order items and delivery items.

to check, follow the menu path IMG > Log General > Batch Management > Batch Det/Batch Check > Activate Auto Batch Det in SD.

also check VCH2 or VCH3. using this, you will see if there are existing condition records for automatic batch check, and the specific instructions on how the check is done (e.g. splits).

in general, although auto batch determination can be done in sales order, it is more convenient and logical to deactivate it in the order and do it in the delivery instead. also, if batch is determined in the order it is possible that quantities of this batch will be taken by another order; when this happens, when you create delivery, you cannot change the batch here and the availability check will be restricted to the batches already specified. to correct this, you will have to go back to the sales order (without saving the delivery) and re-determine batches theres.

of course, in your case the selection of the batch could be client dictated, therefore necessitating determination in the order.

regards.

former_member496861
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

Looking at the item category in sales order, it is auto batch determined. Usually when we create sales order, the batch is determined by sap. However, for some products, user decided to manually change the system-assigned batch number. The reason is user is looking for smaller quantity in the batch. When user does it manually, sap is unable to use the previous available batches. It try to go to the next batch in ascending order.

The question is: would still be a way around this to allow system auto determine batch from previous batch again once manual batch has taken place ?

Another question: Does FIFO has anything to do with batch determination ?

Your info has been helpful.

thank you.

Joyce

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi joyce,

ya FIFO plays a major role, as it determines which material is produced first and the same material must go out of the company first. so FIFO also has a major role to play

regards,

Sudhir

former_member496861
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhir,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about the relationship of FIFO and batch determination to see if it is related.

Joyce