cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Field Length Limitation in DMS Define Workstation Application Type

Former Member
0 Kudos

In reviewing our Workstation Application Types for DMS configuration we find that the field called "File suffix for application" has a 3-char field length. This field is used to retrieve documents once stored. It appears the intent of the field is to allow for creation of a temp file with the same file extension as the document itself. With four character file extensions (Office 2007, .docx, .xlsx, .pptx) we do not experience a problem with the File Format field itself, where the actual extension is stored but we do see a problem with the field, File suffix for application.

Has anyone encountered this problem yet?

I will be searching for OSS Notes and/or submitting a customer message shortly.

Thanks,

Samantha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey can anyone explain me what is the function or use of Workstation application,class and class type.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Benakaraja,

Thanks so much for this feedback. I will try this solution.

Samantha

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Samantha,

What I can offer you is a possible workaround, which was sent to me be another customer for this behavior to achieve that the local copied files have a extension like .xlsx or .docx. For this workaround the following steps are necessary:

We created a new workstation applications for the new file extensions with the mime-types of the new office applications (XLX, WRX and PPX).

We customized them with %AUTO% %NO-LEAVE% instead of %SAP-OFFICE-INTEGRATION.OUTPLACE% %MAXSIZE%

We used a BADI on BEFORE_CHECKOUT event to determine if workstation application is one of the XLX or WRX or PPX. If it is, we set the target temporary file extension to the corresponding 4 characters of the new extensions. This means that we can display "USER01.xlsx", in the user local PC, as a real office 2007 file.

However please note that this is just a possible solution and means to be a modification to the standard system.

Generally I would recommend you to maintain the following settings for working with Office 2007 and the new formats.

In transaction DC30 I would recommend you to maintain also the new file extensions (e.g. *.docx) or . as a general file format entry. This will avoid that you cannot add originals with the new file format to your document info records. This is very important if you have implemented SAP notes 948177 and 967839 which brings a tighter file format check into your system.

Further I would recommend you to test the behavior if you set the 'Do not rename temporary files' flag in transaction DC30. This will lead to the behavior that the file name is not changed if you check out or display the original file. Maybe this could also help to avoid that the original filname is changed or corrupted.

Benakaraja

??