cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role based priviliges within the Workbench

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think somebody did ask this question in the past but couldn't dig it out.

Are there any services available that would allow a role to import files(both catalog & web) into the workbench but does not allow the role to edit the files?

I played with combination(s) of a few services :

ImporttoWorkbench: This allowed a role to import a "web" component only if the "FileSystemWriter" services was authorized for the role.But with this the role is allowed to edit the file as well.

The ImporttoWorjbench service allowed the to import "catalog" components with the aid of "FileSystemWriter" and "TemplateEditor" services but the role needs to be part of the template "writer roles".

My question is , are these the only possibilities or is another combination possible to accomplish this?

We have a separate "transport team" whose job is to just transport stuff from one landscape to the other and I was hoping that we could just give them the Import priviliges only.

The version is 12.0.5.

Maybe we have something added in 12.1 as regards to this.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Udayan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jcgood25
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If they can go into the "Developer" Workbench and are permitted to Import objects, why would that not naturally allow them to edit them as well, since importing can also overwrite a file?

Perhaps you should consider granting them access to the Project screen where they can import Project archives, and by doing so have the transport capability you need for content promotion through your landscape.

What you'll want to do is to take the project zip file and trim it down to the folders/objects that you need to transport, where the Root folders are the catalog and the nested WEB folder is logically the web tab. Good folder structure as recommended by the best practices guide makes this quite easy.

Regards,

Jeremy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeremy,

This is wonderful. I was not aware that using the "Project Management" functionality with only the changes would do the trick.

Till now I always assumed that the Project Import always overwrote the whole project but apparently that is not the case.

I played with it and it works great.

Thanks a lot.

Udayan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I spoke too soon.

I tested it with a Role that had only the "Project Management" service. This service alone did not do the trick so I gave it the additional "Admin" service as well. This service opened up the little dialog that pops-up after clicking on the "Import" button.

After selecting the project zip file and clicking on save I got the alert "Project was not imported". The logs said that the User did not have the "Content development" service.

I gave the role the required service and this time the logs said "Unable to import file XYZ.tqxc,<User> is not assigned to a role that can perform this action

".

In addition to these services I have also given this role "FileSystemWriter" services.

All of these errors indicate that eventually you have to be atleast a "XMII Developer" to import content (Unless that particular new import role is part of the template writer roles) Or am I missing something?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Udayan,

You can find similar question in this [Link|;

-Suresh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suresh,

Thanks but this was not what I was looking for.

Udayan.